Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  01:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently acquired this extremely sick snake. One of my friends brothers had it. It has a bad odor about it and is extremely flaky. It was underfed. What should I do? I'm thinking of soaking it. Also what could be the problem? Also he kept a heating lamp on it 24/7.

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  02:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I soaked him and he drank alot. He doesn't want to eat and is acting like he wants to shed. The stuff on his body looks like a fungus of some sort, it rums off a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  03:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Christ, that actually looks like it's INSIDE a shed skin.
As if it's shed the skin, without crawling out of it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  10:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

K, that got me thinking: getting him to slither through a damp towel, perhaps? If it is indeed shed skin that for some reason the snake hasn't crawled out of, and if he's too run down to make the effort himself, that could possibly give him the assistance he needs?

Sounds also like a dehydrated snake, so more baths, more access to fresh water... there is a beautiful snake under all of that. I'd like to see it brought back to its true glory as soon as possible.

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  11:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree,looks like a badly retained shed. Keep bathing him and try to help him shed the skin but if it doesn't improve soon then I would get him to a vets. I doubt very much if he will eat until this shed is sorted and he begins to feel more secure

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  12:32:44  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

i agree on this looks like its inside a shedded skin,soak in the bath for 10 mins and have the water the same temp as his warm end,just warmish,then as hawkeye said hold with a rough towle while letting him slither through.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can rub some of it off with my fingers, and I was able to get a decent about off. He is starting to move way more than when I got him. I was even thinking of using an extremely soft bristled tooth brush to scrub him as he is soaking. The kid I got him from also said that he has shed before he gave him to me, I'm not sure how much I believe that but that is what I was informed.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:40:38  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He may have said that he shed before he gave him to you, but he didn't say how long ago.
I personally would only take the most basic info off him as true.

Even then, I'd still not even be sure that he's a male either, may be worth when he's better to get somone to probe as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Hatchling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
poor snakey,
hope you can help him out of it soon
bet he will look so pretty when hes better

4.3 Corn snakes - Mont (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Aura (Butter Stripe), Zero (Blizzard) & Lucien (Amel)
2.0 Royal Pythons - Little One & Q
1.0 Chihauhaun King Snake: Simba
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  18:30:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dont use a brush,you could use a damp flannel while hes in the bath and gently stroke him in a head to tail direction.Make sure theres something in the viv for him to rub him self on like a piece of cork,keep us posted,would really like to see how this turns out

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  22:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He never mentioned what gender it was, I just usually refer to my pets as he's.
Go to Top of Page

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After about 5 or 6 baths his colors are starting to show. I just let him soak and rub it off with my fingers.
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  23:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely some improvement there but still a long way to go I would say. Well done to you for taking this snake on, hope you can nurse him back to health

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  23:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I feel really bad for him. I do not think that I should too many problems bringing him back. Expecting about a week or two for a full improvement.
Go to Top of Page

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  23:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gootswa

Yeah, I feel really bad for him. I do not think that I should too many problems bringing him back. Expecting about a week or two for a full improvement.

Good. Please keep updating. Now something important: don't try to force the shed off, it has to be done gently, hence the advice you are getting re how to help him. The rolled towel, the soft flannel, all of that.

Now a question: does he have hides in his vivs and something to rub himself against? Both are very important for him. Might also be worth packing his hides with sphagnum moss to help him further.

Go to Top of Page

gootswa
Snake Mite

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  00:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He does have a log and a little hide to rub up against and I will be sure to add in some sphagnum moss.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000