Is this strange?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kamileun
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a kingsnake named Morse and he is a healthy and still growing young snake. Over the past few weeks I noticed something; he is never around the warm side of his cage. I used an under tank heater as that is what was suggested to me, and up until recently it had worked well, because I spot clean his cage and he poops regularly. The weird thing is is that I never actually see him on the warm side. Is this strange? There's a nice hide over it, and a hide on the cool side, and he's on aspen shavings and likes to burrow.

It's starting to get cold though, and this week he refused food for the first time (though I think that may be because he is shedding soon). Is it normal for snakes to avoid the warm spot in their viv unless they have eaten recently? I also handle him near daily, he's very active and curious during handling. Should I get a heat lamp and use it as well as the heat pad?

Kamileun
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^edit: I still am using the undertank heatpad, i kind of accidentally put that in past tense.
Go to Top of Page

Dd.172
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  11:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the temperatures warm and cool end? Mabie he/she just prefers the cool end? :)

Dave
------
0.0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  11:49:38  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you could try knocking the warm end down a degree of two, maybe it's just a little too warm for his liking? or alternatively it might not be warm enough to make a difference to him........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kamileun
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  20:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The temp at the cool end is generally room temp, which I am now realizing gets down around 65 at night ): It has been getting gradually colder here lately, but it's never too bad since it's just SoCal. I'm just scared because I don't want him to stop eating during winter, it's very worrisome for me.

The warm side is usually around mid 80's, sometimes a little higher.

And that makes me think of another question...how do you regulate the temperature with a heat mat like that? I bet that's a really dumb question, but I've really never had any worries about it until now. I have one of the kinds that adheres onto the bottom of the outside of the glass. I know that when I was testing it out it was at first far too hot (I think it can heat up to around 90+ degrees) so I created a buffer zone over and around it with a square of repti carpet. Is this the wrong way to go? I am going to look for a new heat pad maybe. Do they make ones that only go to a certain temp?
Go to Top of Page

Dd.172
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll need a thermostat to maintain a good temperature, like Habistat MatStat, (I've seen mats reach +100f without thermostats). As for your temperatures they sound ok? (where are you measuring them from?)

Also if he's on aspen he may burrow on the warm side, then you won't see him. Any holes in the aspen?

Dave
------
0.0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake

Edited by - Dd.172 on 10/12/2009 08:59:57
Go to Top of Page

Kamileun
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  22:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have two thermometers monitoring the two sides, they're like those aquarium probe thermometers on the wire, and I just stick the end into the substrate and it works quite well. They are stuck into the substrate, and the one on the warm side is resting just ontp of the repticarpet over the heat mat.
Go to Top of Page

Hawk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  10:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Maybe he goes to the warm end when you are not looking. I too thought one of my snakes was only spending time at one end but then I found evidence (under-apsen tunneling system and poo ) to show she's been there.

Snakes are good at worrying people .

1.0.0 Snow corn (Shen)
0.1.0 Miami corn (Stella)
0.1.0 MBK (Shadow)

Go to Top of Page

Kamileun
Snake Mite

38 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  23:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I'm back for an update, and it turns out that he does just go there when I'm not looking. I feel so silly and paranoid. It's been cooler so he has slowed down a bit, but he finally ate the other day and I've seen him hanging around on the warm side.

thanks for the advice everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Flick
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  08:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey i am new to snake keeping and getting the temp right is whats worrieing me the most too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000