Eyes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  16:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our corn snake appears to have black circles round his eyes :( he's an amel so his eyes are pink except for these black rings. What could they be?

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  17:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a picture of the rings?

Without seeing them it could really be anything.

I would normally suggest asking over on the Corn Snake forum, but the people with the knowledge post here as well, the rest will just guess at it!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  17:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That doesnt sound right at all. Amelanistic corns lack melanin, the black pigment. As Bio has asked, have you got a photo?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  18:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try and get one up for tomorrow when he's settled down he's very fidgity at the moment

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  21:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We cant get a clear enough photo of his eyes but they look like black dots round round the edges of his eyes. Could they be mites? I know theyre lacking the black pigment. Would this problem maybe correct itself after shedding?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  21:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mites and ticks can gather around the eyes if the snake has them. If this is the case, you would have to treat the snake for mites as you would normaly. Unfortunatly without a photo its hard to tell you what it is.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  21:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will still try and get a photo, they keep blurring we dont hav very good cameras. If they are mites does he need to see a vet or is there something i can buy from a reptile shop?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  21:57:28  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Freeze the snake by holding it's head firmly between thumb and forefinger to stop it moving.
Hopefully you'll be able to get a decent close up photo without the blurring then.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  22:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it does turn out to be mites then this is one method of treating your snake for them but don't do this unless you definitely do have mites. Try getting a piece of clean kitchen roll and rub it down your snake from neck to tail. If your snake has mites then some should end up on the kitchen roll.

I use frontline to treat mites but you have to be careful. Remove all hides and the water dish from the viv and give them a soak in a bleach solution or retile safe disinfectant. Remove all substrate and bin it. Take the snake out and give it a lukewarm bath as this will drown a lot of the mites. Water down some frontline and wet a piece of kitchen roll with it then carefull rub your snake with the kitchen roll but make sure you stay away from its head then put your snake in a RUB or similar while you treat the viv. Spray the viv with frontline and leave the doors open for ventilation. Once the frontline has completely dried and there are no fumes left you can start to put things back in the viv. Don't use Aspen or anything like that as a substrate. If you use kitchen roll then you will be able to see any dead mites more easily. The frontline will remain active on the viv surfaces for longer than the life cylce of mites so even if there are any eggs that survive then when they hatch the mites will die when they come in to contact with the viv. You can now put your snake back in and with a bit of luck there will be no more mites.

I have had 2 outbreaks of mites before and this method has worked both times with no need to repeat the treatment. Hopefully your snake doesn't have mites but if it does then good luck with the battle

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  08:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for all that :) i'l still try and get a photo but he's very active! I hope its not mites but if it is at least we know we can treat them

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

41 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  08:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We spotted a mite on him today :( but fortunatly i can get to our reptile expert this afternoon to buy some more aspen shavings for when he's better :) thanks for all the advice though people you've all been very helpful!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000