New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  12:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is it possible that being knocked while in transport would become fatal to a hatchling, and is it possible for such a snake to deteriorate over a period of 5-6 days and then die?

I am asking because one of our new MBKs (Ultra) died. I have gone extensively several times over setup and couldn't find anything that could result in a fatality, and Shadow is doing very well in an identical set up. I did discover one error: the probe was touching the substrate rather than the heatmat below it, but the substrate is very thin in that area and when I put it right on the heatmat there wasn't much change.

I've looked at a post I put here a few days ago and discovered I said at the time she was behaving differently to the other one (who was being active) right from the outset. At the time I put it down to difference in character but am now wondering if she was already ill or injured when she arrived with me.

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  21:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose a knock could be fatal to a snake, and if it was an internal injury then it may take a few days to be fatal. Sorry to hear about Ultra dying. I suppose you could always take his body to the vets and have them look over him for you to put your mind at ease about you doing anything wrong, but as you say he was in an identical setup so I doubt its anything you've done.

I had a similar situation with a couple of royals about a year or so ago so I know how you feel

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
Hatchling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  06:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw really sorry about Ultra
maybe a vet could help you out by looking at the body? hope you find a reason

4.3 Corn snakes - Mont (Carolina), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Aura (Butter Stripe), Zero (Blizzard) & Lucien (Amel)
2.0 Royal Pythons - Little One & Q
1.0 Chihauhaun King Snake: Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 20/11/2009 08:11:07
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  12:44:25  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that eye,have you contacted the breeder?

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  15:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

sorry to hear that eye,have you contacted the breeder?

Yes, sent them an e-mail, waiting to hear back. In the meantime my youngest spoke to someone about it and I heard him mentioning something I'd completely forgotten about: when we unpacked the snakes we noticed the heatpacks were really warm, and that's after a day in transit (including overnight).

At that point I became a bit paranoid about the other snake, Shadow. Last night we took her out for first handling. She seemed fine, but I noticed a bit of white patch on the underside of her head. The Hawk was able to take a better look and said it was a symetrical pattern. It could have been there all along and we hadn't noticed - this was first handling - but because of what happened to Ultra it caught my attention and worry. The Hawk tried to take a photograph but no success, if he manages to get a good one later today, I'll post it. The other thing is that I'm not sure she was as active during handling as an MBK should be (well, if those white patches are part of her pattern then she's not pure MBK anyway) but it's 4 weeks since she last shed so perhaps it's something to do with that. Right now I just want to see her doing well over the next few days and taking her next feed like she took the first one, and I'll probably relax about her.

The other snakes we have here (two corns) are the same as before, Stella the Star (Miami) doing fantastically well all around, and my little non-feeder Shen (Snow) is gaining weight and gone into regular sheds.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not uncommon for mexi's to have a few white dots.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  10:14:41  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they all have a spot under their chin and alot have white/yellow flecks on their belly and are this doesn't mean that their not pure,my female has flecks on here belly.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  18:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

they all have a spot under their chin and alot have white/yellow flecks on their belly and are this doesn't mean that their not pure,my female has flecks on here belly.

Thanks Lee. As far as snakes are concerned, Shadow is probably doing a lot better than I am as she's not worried about any snakes, including herself! Earlier today she showed me she can move fast when she really wants to, so I may call the panic-stations off soon.

Ok, I got it re pattern.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:46:50  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you had any response yet from the breeder??

I spoke to my local place RE: our discussion the other day.
They do still have a MBK hatchling, but because of the courier they use the price is likely to be quite high.
The cost of the courier is only about a fiver less than the snake.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  00:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No reply from the breeder. They're closed Monday but I did expect them to send some kind of response by the end of Tuesday.

Understood re the MBK. * scratching head *
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
498 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  17:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a downer sorry about your loss mate.

1.0.0 Mexi Black (Snoop)
1.0.0 Milk Pueb (Lestat)
0.2.0 Mexi Black (no name)
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
498 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also just wanted to add. I'm not sure if a knock would damage them. It would have to a hell of a knock, I dropped my hatchlingthe other week and hes fine. Not sure this helps but its better than driving yourself mad I suppose.

1.0.0 Mexi Black (Snoop)
1.0.0 Milk Pueb (Lestat)
0.2.0 Mexi Black (no name)
Go to Top of Page

Eye
The Eyeball

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  17:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks. Meanwhile we thought possibly the heating pads she was transported in, but we don't really know and since I didn't keep her I will never find out. Total mystery: Shadow, who came in same day same shipment and lives in an identical faun that had shared a heatmat with the other one, is doing very well and is now blue. Doesn't stop me still feeling somewhat anxious about her. I told myself, "if she takes the next feed ok, I'll calm down." She does, but I don't... It will be alright in the end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000