New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donbot
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  21:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an albino cali king which I bought as an adult (my first and only snake) and we used to be very close, he was out with me almost every day. When I had my second child I admit he was neglected.. He was always fed, watered and cleaned but I didn't get him out for a long time. Please don't tell me how awful I am...I know!!!
The problem is that he seems now to be not used to be human contact and has become very aggresive. He shakes his tail and strikes whenever I go near him, which I have to admit makes me nervous. How do I get him used to me again without getting hurt in the process?! Someone please help me get my relationship back with my baby boy!

TLT
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  21:51:18  Show Profile  Click to see TLT's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
SLOWLY dont rush it just put ur hand in his viv for a bit n let him get reaquainted with ur smell then afa a while start stroking him (wiv gloves if need be) n wen he stops strikin at u get him out a few mins each day. this is what i am doing with my cali as i brought her from a shop n thy didnt hav time for her luckily tho she is still a baby.
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  22:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As said above, don't rush it. If you're worried about getting bitten then gloves are a good idea but once the snake is out of the viv then take the gloves off if you can so that he can get used to your smell. When I bought my king I was also told to wash my hands with the same soap before handling him so that he got used to that smell. Hope that helps

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  20:34:50  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome
mine were a bit neglected on the handling side of things when i had my little girl, don't feel bad, priorities have to change and like you said, they're fed, watered and clean so that's their requirements met. it's our own requirement of our snakes as pets that weren't met for a while.
if he's a bit 'viv-defensive' now, you could try just opening the viv door and letting him be nosey enough to come out and explore, then supporting his weight while he comes out, until you're holding him. it might take numerous attempt to get him interested enough to make the first move. once out they often settle down but still keep the handling session short - 5-10 mins.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  21:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gp is right- a viv defensive snake should be allowed to come out on their own before you try and pick them up. Nagini is like this and we never pick her out of the tank. We just open the door and let her come out, then attempt a pick up.

You could also put a glove or sock of yours in his tank to quicken up him becoming used to your smell again.

Good Luck!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000