Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mancunian
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  14:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I spring cleaned my Cali Kings viv, gave him a new bark hide and left him to it.

This afternoon I hear shouting from downstairs...

"One of your snakes is on the loose down here"!!!

I roll my eyes and saunter downstairs, not believing a word of it. Escape is impossible.

To my horror I find Jose on the laundry room floor heading straight for the cat flap!!! How the hell did he get out, downstairs and out to the back door? He is only a foot long and as wide as a pencil!

He was cold, wet and very lively!

I found a tiny corner of the glass viv lid was elevated...he could never lift it, so I could not have put in on securely last night.

So this is a lesson to me- always check the lid is on properly.

I count myself very lucky to have found him before I knew I had even lost him!

We were wondering if he may have got transported downstairs in a basket of laundry? Just hope he never had a full cycle at 40 degrees also!

1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  15:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky you found him! I always doubt that I have closed by viv's properly to the extent that when I leave the room I have a feeling in the back of my head that says go back and check, and I always do. I wish i could just leave the room like a normal person

I'm sure I remeber a corn going in the wash once

Go to Top of Page

t_king
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  17:56:27  Show Profile  Click to see t_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha good thing you got him back in his cage! I bet the person who found it was a bit shocked!
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:29:12  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe he's heard about Kaz's Jally's incident with the washing machine? he must be very brave trying to make a bid for freedom through the catflap!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  11:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky you found your snake. Thought I'd lost one of my boas a couple of days ago... luckily he had just buried himself under some substrate

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  17:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he did hitch a lift in the laundry basket- they love it in there. Think that's how Jally ended up in the washer

Glad you found him so quick

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  18:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I am embarressed to say it but he has escaped again and this time I have not found him

I have no idea how he got out this time as I even put heavy books on top of the lid so there is no way he could push the lid up. The only thing he could have done is squeezed through the lip of the lid and the glass tank. I have heard of small snakes getting out of RUBS this way and can't see how else he could do it. Grrrrrr.

I have kept 2 other snakes in that viv with no problems, but he was the smallest. Yesterday he was standing himself upright aiming for the lid but I checked it was on correctly and well weighted down.

Just hope he turns up soon before the cat finds him. He could be anywhere in the house and I think it is futile pulling everything apart to look as he is so tiny it is a real needle in the haystack scenario. I shall lay out some pinkie traps and hope for the best. At 4-5 moths old I doubt he will manage long without food. Poor Jose. I don't seem to have any luck with my Cali Kings.

1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)

Edited by - Mancunian on 14/11/2008 18:40:34
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  18:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought that about Jally, because she was the same age and it was like searching for a loose piece of string. She was tiny!!!!

After about a month we gave up hope, but another month later she turned up. I'm sure if she had not been in the washer she would've be absolutely fine. In fact, we only treated her with caution because of the shock of the washer, if we had just found her normally, we would've fed her and handled her again straight away.

Don't give up hope!

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  19:59:50  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
awww, i really hope he turns up soon *crosses fingers*
having cats around is a worry but one of them actually alerted me to Birch's escape before i even realised she was missing - i thought he's brought a mouse in as he was playing with something, after a while i felt i should really check if it was alive and try to recue it if it was and it turned out to be my adult female cornsnake!

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  17:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cats are evil GP! Everyone knows that

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two weeks on and still no sign of Jose

The cat will not be an issue now either as she took a turn for the worse with her kidney failure last week and I had to let her be put to sleep, which was the worst thing I have ever had to do in my life.

So I am not having much luck with my pets this year, Frisco the Cali King died from an intestinal tumour, Bracken the cat died from kidney failure and Jose has probably frozen to death in some crevice somewhere in the house

Edited by - Mancunian on 02/12/2008 12:02:44
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:09:07  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh hun *hugs* things will pick up

my last cat was put to sleep as he was very ill with FIP which is incurable, i held him while the vet did the deed and the last thing he did was bite me it's a horrible decision to make but you did it for the right reasons, renal failure is....... well......... there's not a lot you can do, it was definitely the right decision to make

and remember the Jap rat i had was on the loose for a year before turning up unscathed (if a little wild!)

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  21:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals
1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  18:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats horrible news.

I've been there myself. One of my cats thought it would be a good idea to sit on the rear axle of the car to hide from us when we tried to find her. We loaded the boot for a day out not knowing she was there, drove 3 miles without anything happening and then we felt a thump under one of the rear wheels. Saw a cat in the middle of the raod in my rear view mirror so we turned around and saw it was our cat. Rushed her to the vets but after a couple of days it was clear she wasn't going to recover properly. Vet said she would need to have her tail and ear amputated and reconstructive surgery to her hip and even then we would have to hope and pray she recovered her bladder function so it was best to let her go.

You've done the right thing

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  18:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sorry to hear that guys.

I lost 2 kittens a year ago in close succesion due to vehicle accidents.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  15:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for you loss Mancunian. If it's any consolation, bad luck runs in 3s, so at least you should be due some good luck soon. You might find Jose in time for Chrimbo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000