Transporting or Travel....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

t_king
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  22:30:00  Show Profile  Click to see t_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My friend phoned me earlier and has got a adult male cornsnake.
He wants to move the snake to his friends house and put his male cornsnake in with the female cornsnake for mating.

1) First of all, Is it ok to do this?
2) If so, What is he best transporting the snake in?

Thanks for your help

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  16:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the female is old enough to mate (3 years at least) and they are both healthy then yes- but it is a bit early to introduce them to each other. Mating season isn't until the spring/summer. He should be waiting until at least March before introducing the male and just spending the winter preparing the female through brummation, feeding up, health checks etc.

Best way to transport is either in a RUB (really useful box/plastic storage box) or in a pillowcase tied at the top.

Go to Top of Page

t_king
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  16:59:49  Show Profile  Click to see t_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah i don't think he was planning on doing it yet.
Thanks for Info!
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  23:39:42  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my corns cohabit on a permanent basis (a 1.1 pair) but introducing them in the spring makes for better results from the pairing ie. they're more likely to mate, have a predictable lay then hopefully a predictable hatch.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  23:42:43  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as for travelling a plastic tub or RUB, newspaper for substrate and to hide under, no water bowl either! or pillowcases are commonly used like Kaz said, just make sure it's secured at the top. for long journeys you can put the pillowcase/tub/RUB on a hotwiter bottle if necessary but use hot water NOT boiling water as the snake can't move away from the heat if it gets too hot.

Go to Top of Page

t_king
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  07:56:14  Show Profile  Click to see t_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great thanks for the advice. Does travelling stress the snake out at all? If so will this affect the mating?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  10:20:28  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it can do, some breeds are more stressy than others (eg. Royals!!!) it's unlikely to upset a corn enough to prevent mating but it will need time to adjust to it's new surroundings and new boyfriend

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  11:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I transported a Royal from South Wales to Manchester in a pillow case with no problems. He even ate 2 days later. A Corn will not have any problems.

I have also transported a Corn from just norff of Lahndahn to Manchester and she was fine in a RUB for the 6 hour trip back including a stop-over en route for dinner (but she did not eat though)

1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)

Edited by - Mancunian on 08/11/2008 11:31:32
Go to Top of Page

t_king
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  13:01:39  Show Profile  Click to see t_king's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aah right! Good stuff. Thanks for info!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000