New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was handling my '09 Mexi Black this morning and noticed a little white tip at the end of his tail. I would post a photo but it would be near impossible to get a good shot of it.

Could he maybe have retained a bit of old skin during a shed?

The tip of the tail doesn't really feel any different, but I'm still relatively new to this game and I'd just like to make sure.

He's shed twice with me, and both times they were perfect complete sheds.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  19:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be retained shed. Try wetting it with cotton wool or something similar and have a go at pulling it off. If it is retained shed it could eventually cut off blood supply and he could lose the tip of his tail.

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  19:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers I'll give that a go. Thanks

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  19:59:47  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with Mart, it really does need sorting asap as the tail tip really will go nectrotic and drop off...... a regular member recently posted on TCS that this had happened to their cornsnake, as it's something that's easily identified and solved i was quite appalled!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  20:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bathed him in luke warm water for about ten minutes, and gently pulled with a cloth and the tips of my fingers. Nothing came off though.
I was a bit nervous about doing this as I had to do it with my milk snake once, and he crapped all over me, and the MBK is a lot more aggressive, but he sat quietly in my hand. I think he actually enjoyed it.

I'll try my best to get pics of it tomorrow. I'll also repeat the process daily, though he is due to go into shed again soon I think.

Gingerpony, please don't think badly off me. I'm still a learner at this,and I'd hate it if any harm came to my snakes due to my incompetencies.

If it is a retained tip how long does it take for the damage to be irreversible?

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  09:36:58  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm sorry hun i wasn't having a go at you! i'm very sorry if i came across badly....

you're new to this and asking advice which is great.........the reason i was so appalled about the TCS person was that they'd been on the forum for ages but just ignored the problem with their snake until it's tail had dropped off leaving a bloody stump!

it usually takes a few months or a couple of sheds for the stuck shed to get tight enough to stop the blood=flow to the tail tip, but the longer it stays there the harder the stuck skin is to get off so it's best off dealt with promptly

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  11:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bathed him again this morning and took some pics. Once again no skin came off, and once again he seemed to enjoy it. He just sat quietly in my hand and let me do my work.
I'm sort of thinking that I was just being paranoid about the whole thing.
Here are the pics anyway so you can see for yourselves

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  13:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the pics are not the best quality but by looking at them do you think he has retained the tip?

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  11:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to thnk about the end of my mexi's tail - I seem to think that they do have a little nubbin that seems a different colour.

I'll have a look when I get home as it might just be species thing.

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  08:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I'm trying to thnk about the end of my mexi's tail - I seem to think that they do have a little nubbin that seems a different colour.

I'll have a look when I get home as it might just be species thing.

Many thanks if you could.
I have been bathing Gomez everyday for 5-teen minutes and pulling the tail end with a cloth, and as yet nothing has came off, though there still is a noticeable white spot.

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  18:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no white spot on Nagini's or Hypanthia's tails but it is a different colour than the rest of the tail. Just a shade different though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000