New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matthompson
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  10:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Ok then I have a 2.5foot variable thats new to me (5 days). Its a rescue so don't know its past/feeding etc.

I gave it 2 fuzzy mice yesterday and it took them well and they are still down. Is this a sufficient feeding for the next 7-10 days ?

Handling - I have to admit, I'm addicted to him already. Even over the last 4-5 days he's become less jumpy although I don't think he was bad to start with really. Can you handle them too much...how does twice a day sound? (Obviously not during shed or after feeding)

Surface temp - Over the heat mat there is about 10mm of Auboise substrate. But this is enough to make the glass underneath quite hot I think. You can just about leave your finger tips in contact with it. I have followed the instruction on the heat mat. It has a 5mm gap between mat and glass. Does this sound correct ?

Many thanks
Mat

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  10:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For best heat conductivity you need to stick the mat to the base. Glass tanks on the outside, wooden vivs on the inside but you must use a thermostat no matter how or where it is stuck.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Ghost Corn | Motley Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Goliath Bird Eater | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar & Silver Dollars

Edited by - ViolentJ on 25/07/2009 11:57:46
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  12:30:26  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
depends on condition really, at 2.5 feet it'll only be youngish so maybe a weekly feed?

handling is ok in short sessions providing it doesn't affect him with regards to his health/feeding

and with Aubiose i'd thin it right down to a scattering over the heatmat then thicker throughout the rest of the viv. it might even be worthwhile putting a sheet of newspaper as a base with no substrate on top where the mat is.
the thermostat and thermometer probes should be resting directly above the heatmat on top of the substrate for an accurate reading and with thinner substrate the heatmat shouldn't have to work too hard to reach the desired temp so shouldn't get the glass too hot.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  13:46:52  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i dont ut substrate over my mat just a piece of lyno,if your not able to keep your finger on the mat i would think it was too hot,are you using a stat and what sort of thermometer are you using,dial or digital?

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

matthompson
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  14:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys
Thanks for the help. Yes using a stat but the sensor isn't well positioned and what you've said does make more sense. Ok...I will change the setup a little and see if I get better results.

Lee- A little dial thermometer and humidy dial. It seems pretty constant at about 30%. Should I have 2 thermometers one at each side would you say?
Go to Top of Page

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  15:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dial thermometers can be a bit vague. Digital aren't perfect but are more accurate. You don't need to buy reptile branded ones, digital thermometers sold
for fridge / freezers work just as well and are usually a lot cheaper. The digital ones comes with a probe much like the thermostat so you'd place the probe next to the thermostat probe and then adjust the temperature based on the digital readout.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Ghost Corn | Motley Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Goliath Bird Eater | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar & Silver Dollars
Go to Top of Page

matthompson
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  16:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok...just bought a digi so should be able to set that up early next week and get things more accurate. So let me get this right, the temparature of the warmest area should be 27-31°C. With the ambient and cool side whatever it happens to be do to the particular set-up?

I've also noticed today that along his underside there are a few scales that are looking slightly split/rough. The whole of the underside is slightly milky too but I didnt know whether this was just normal. Could he be starting a shed maybe? When I picked him up from the wildlife rescue he was sitting in the water bowl which I understand they do when a shed is on the way!??
Go to Top of Page

matthompson
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  12:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK then

I now have the viv set-up thus.

Sensor in on surface of thin layer of substrate in hide (large exo-terra) on one side. It maintains 28-29degs. The temp on the cool end now reads about 22. The glass above the heat-mat is now just nicely warm and not hot.

So this seems much better now I'd say. Many thanks for help on this.

Now just some views on this scale situation would be great if possible ?

Cheers
Mat
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  13:23:22  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
any chance of a pic,they shouldnt be split,sometimes when handling mine they can feel rough if you catch them,will probably shed soon any way

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

matthompson
Snake Mite

41 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  12:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi lee

Ok...cant get a pic at the mo. Today though he has a blue/white irridescent look about the skin and the underside is even more milky, he also feels dry/'sqeaky even' as he runs through your fingers. The eyes are not quite as bright but not cloudy !? How far from a shed would you say...should I now leave him be for few days, increase the humidity !?
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  14:35:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would leave him be for now and just move the water bowl to the warm end,once the eyes go back to normal it could tack upto 7 days to shed.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000