Concerned
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  20:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Californian Kingsnake. I have had him since I was 6 years of age. I am now 23. From the day I got him, his behaviour has been gradually increasing in weirdness. A few years ago, he managed to swallow himself as far as he could. After an hour, he released himself and was unharmed. I could not seem to find out why he acted as such. He is fed regularly, he has an adequate tank. Over the years, -this is consistant- when I put his heat mat on, he chases himself around the tank in a frenzy, biting the end of his tale and twisting about. It got so bad, I had to take him to the vet for an injection, and was advised to keep his heat matt off.
I love him dearly, and no one can seem to tell me what is wrong with him. I have tried everything that has been suggested. From changing his tank, to his feeding times.
He has never liked being handled too much, he tends to bite here and there, but he is absolutely adorable, a beautiful creature. I would do anything for him. I am worried he may be in pain or something..

Does anyone know of anything I can do?

Thank you x

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  21:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive me, I should add, When I first got him, as a baby, he was quite the escapist. Two years after I got him, I lost him for 18 months. He was found in a garden down my street. A week afterwards, he kinda crushed himself trying to escape, he stopped breathing and my father had to breathe into him to revive him. The vet checked him over, and he got the all clear.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  21:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey, quite a snake.

Can you describe the setup? (although im sure you have been asked about it a million times)

When the heat mat is off, how are you heating the viv?

Go to Top of Page

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  21:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is in a large tank, with front sliding doors, the sides and back are wooden. Tis the only thing he cannot escape from. Has a large waterbowl in the left half of it. A hide, and a rock with holes through it in the left. And a smooth branch fit diagonally in his tank.

Yes well, i was concerned about the heat. I moved him to the end of my room near the radiator. I am always trying him with his heat mat, as I said, he flips out. He writhes around his tank and attacks himself.
I try to have him out as much as i can. He loves being in the garden in the sun. He tends to attack the garden hose haha. I think I have a snake with mental issues. I just want him to be happy.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  21:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I right in assuming the mat isnt on a stat? Also how big is the vivarium and how big is the snake? Any photo's you can post will be a big help.

Go to Top of Page

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  21:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, at present he has a mat that is a consistant temperature. I was advised to purchase one, to stick it to the back of his tank, to see if such would help. Any heat, even from the radiator, causes him to react. I gave him to a pet store for a week for observation. Supposedly the man had to handle him with gloves due to his agression. I have never had such problem with him. His bite isn't painful.
The lamp doesn't seem to bother him though, and never has.
He seems most content under water.

Ringo is around 4 ft long. I shall have to measure his tank. It is rather wide, and has alot of height. He loves to climb.

Of course, I shall take some asap.
I am grateful of your time here
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  21:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you measuring the temperaures? (sorry about the 20 questions, but myself and others ned to find out in order to help)

Go to Top of Page

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  22:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is quite alright. I shall be glad to help him.
I have a round thermometer on the glass of his tank
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  22:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What temperature is displayed on the dial? What are you using as substrate? Where is the dial in relation to the heat mat?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  22:14:54  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,where abouts are you?

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  22:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dial is at the end of the tank, where his heat mat is.
It reads 23 degrees. The heating is off, as is the radiator etc. Any hotter than that, and he will go mental.
The vet advised me to keep his heat mat off. The state of his tail end from biting was severe at the time. The vet said that if it was upsetting him, discard it. That a lamp would be sufficient. I never used one before you see.

He simply hates heat. If my hands are especially hot he will bite me. He likes to submerge himself in really cold water when outside. (we have an artifical mini stream around our garden. He will lay in it with his head fully under for quite some time before swimming through it.

I have simply failed to understand why a snake would swallow himself entirely. And behave as he does. It is rather schizophrenic.

I have had a boy from a reptile center check out his tank.. I have really tried everything I can think of.
Go to Top of Page

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  22:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, thank you. I am in West Sussex
Go to Top of Page

Naveed
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  22:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, he has layers of paper beneath shavings. He older tank had artificial grass in it. Now both of my snakes have said bedding. (The other is a speckled king snake- I have never had any problems with him)
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  12:18:43  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naveed

A week afterwards, he kinda crushed himself trying to escape, he stopped breathing and my father had to breathe into him to revive him. The vet checked him over, and he got the all clear.

sounds like there were possibly some complications following this.... maybe neurological?.... but obviously nothing too serious affecting his general health.
you mentioned a lamp in his viv but use a heatmat, have you tried any other method of heating - ceramic? heat/light bulb? AHS?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2009 :  21:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Naveed

Seems like you do have one mental snake

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic