feeding query
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  22:54:08  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
now hes feeding properly im going to give him 2 large mice a fortnight but was wondering if it makes any difference to feed one a week,is there any pros or cons to weekly/fortnightly?
found the biggest poo today after he had those 4 mice last week,it was lik a miniture cow pat

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  10:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure to be honest. I think if you feed him two per fortnight then you may have to wait longer after feeding to handle him again.
Just thinking 'out loud' now. Would feeding him a large meal once a fortnight be similar to a human not eating all day and then having a massive meal that makes them feel uncomfotable at night? As I said I don't know the answer so this may create a bit of a debate.

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  12:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee is there a reason you cant feed him weekly?

i would stick with one large mouse a week...
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
498 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  17:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I would stick with one big mouse a week mate as MB said it would give you more handling time. How is that going by the way? Have you dispersed with the gloves yet?

1.0.0 Mexi Black (Snoop)
1.0.0 Milk Pueb (Lestat)
0.2.0 Mexi Black (no name)
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  17:20:16  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Lee is there a reason you cant feed him weekly?

i would stick with one large mouse a week...

sorry anne i dont understand,whats the reason i cant feed weekly,then you say 1 a week.

quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Yeah I would stick with one big mouse a week mate as MB said it would give you more handling time. How is that going by the way? Have you dispersed with the gloves yet?

yeh,the gloves are long gone but he can be a bit moody still,was shaking his tail at me when i picked himup last night.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  21:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was asking why you could not feed him weekly...

never mind, i know what i mean
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  22:10:08  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry my fault,just read it again and dont know why i didnt understand it.There is no reason i cant feed weekly,just thought most people feed a adult 2 large mice a fortnight and wondered why they didnt just split it and feed weekly.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  07:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know what i always say in life Lee? go with what YOUR comfortable with. If it feels right then it is;-)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  17:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a King, but I feed my corn 2 mice fortnighly rather than 1 a week but I change every now and then to vary it.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  09:09:02  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
adult males are fine fed fortnightly, it helps provent obesity, their metabolism is slower than females

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  09:58:11  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so should female be fed weekly?i dont have a clue what mine is,is being probed stressful for snakes because my lrs said he would probe it for me but dont want to undo all the handling work i have done and not have it trust me any more.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  11:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apparently, and dont quote me, but you can tell the sex of kings by the tails...i think i read it on the dark side, not sure...
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:26:41  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you could try a scale count for sexing, it can definitely be done for corns but there is a 'grey area' where the number of scales means it could be male or it could be female. not sure on the figures for othere species though............. Google is your friend!

for probing, it's probably not pleasant but done by an experienced person should be quick and painless, and shouldn't really set him back with trusting you

and the God that is Kathy Love advocates feeding cornsnake females weekly and males fortnightly. I'm not aware of any similar Gods in king/milk circles (Google should be my friend...) but as they're very similar species the same advice probably applies. they tend to be good feeders like corns (except for brumating/mating seasons, like some corns) so could easily become obese.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000