Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  12:13:47  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I took Trio down to vets and a decent and honest rep place today, both had a look at him for me.
Vet said tail damage was due to a severe impact and burning.
Rep guy said it looks like tail was trodden on or something similar, plus it's been burnt.
So 2 different people said the same thing with me only telling them it was a rescue snake.

Even though i had a good look at his tail earlier, I didn't notice a small lump next to his vent, but it was pointed out to me and I got told that it's basically scar tissue from the impact, which could have been getting trod on, or having the tail getting closed in a viv door practically right on the vent.

Seeing as he was out for a checkover, when i went to put him back into the viv i accidently took a few piccys before he went back in.

Cardinal sin, I know. Just posted them on the piccys section.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  15:19:15  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Handling,day out,just cant leave him alone can you.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  16:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope he's alright Kehhlyr- did the vet say there was anything to worry about?

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez, i feel bad now, i never knew, i thought it was a burn, i have just sent a text to the woman i got him off, to see what she says, i have not jumped on her as i want her to be honest with me and not just try and blagg it..

Kehl, i am happy to pay vet fees for treatment of this, what are they going to do? will he be ok? he is such a good lad..

The only thing i know about Trio is his age and that the lad that had him is now at uni and his mum was looking after him, i will let you know what the text says if she replies, i hope she does.

Edited by - wolfspirit on 09/03/2009 20:23:55
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a text from the people who had him, apprently 18 months ago he ate his own tail, they said they had to pull out half his body from his mouth, they are saying they think he had started digesting it, but i dont know how quick this happens, he has done this twice.

I have no idea on snakes eating there tails though have heard of it, dont know if this helps...

negative on the burns.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  00:00:48  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The burns could well be due to digestive fluids, all he said was they were burns, but unusual burns as most leave white scarring.
As for vets bills, my reptile vet runs a shop down the road from me, so i see him often enough so therefore the vet visit was 'just popping in to say hello'

As for treatment, there isn't a great deal that can be done, he said i could spend a fortune on reptile skin healing products, and it'd be a waste of time because it's essentially healed, it's just tender now. He suggested Aloe juices, and small amount of olive oil to keep the scales moist and supple until the worst has come off.

He seemed very interested in the snakes mouth as well, he lifted up one side of the snakes mouth and just said 'just checking'. Nothing more, dunno why and he didn't elaborate. If it was a health issue he would've told me.
He did say to keep a very close eye on him because of the lump near his vent, he showed me the lump (which I hadn't noticed) and said that his muscles are very weak near the tail which could be part caused by the burns/impact trauma and he may have difficulty passing faeces sometimes.

Aside from that, he said he's a little small and docile for his age but a happy nosey snake as well, which show that he's in fairly good health.

I've been up at his tank checking and being around him regularly, and he hasn't musked, shook his tail or even looked like he was about to strike, but he is a VERY nosey snake. both times i've changed his water, he's had to do a complete inspection of the new water as soon as it's gone back in.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 10/03/2009 00:01:10
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  06:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he poohs for England , well he did two nice ones in his viv with me two days before you came and got him,

Indy was docile to, but that was because he was sick, maybe Trio is in pain with his tail...

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  07:48:18  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Apparently he's not in pain with his tail, it's just a bit tender, a bit like a recently healed wound.
He was really tolerent when he was being checked over as well, so it looks likes he chilling out nice and easily.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would it still cause him pain then as they said it happened around 18months ago
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:43:37  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was told that it shouldn't be causing him pain, otherwise he would've reacted quite badly when it was getting touched and squeezed and poked and all the other stuff that confident vets do to snakes.

Just a bit uncomfortable, like a dull ache sort of thing.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  13:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor fella- hope he's alright. Snakes heal quite well so he shouldn't be in pain I would think.

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor snakey. At least he's not in pain

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

bluerain
Hatchling

United Kingdom
270 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  20:45:38  Show Profile  Click to see bluerain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awwhh, poor wee soul! glad you got him all checked out and he"s on the mend..enjoy your snake!!

Lots of Milks!! Few Royals, corns, Rosie Boas and Childrens Pythons. One Bci, and one Irian Jaya Carpet!
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Hatchling

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  22:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would it still hurt after all this time?

i did ask them the question of burns and got a negative reply of they did not watch him 24 hours a day...

I did hazard a guess that as he had no heat other than that light bulb he could have wrapped around it if he got cold at night...but it is just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  22:53:35  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He shouldn't feel any pain at all from it now.
He has a weak grip with the end of his tail, which suggests muscle damage. That would also explain why he may in the past have gotten a bit tetchy when going near his tail.
You know how sometimes if you sit funny when doing something and your leg starts to go numb, that's what i was told it's probably like for him on the last 3-4 inches of his tail.
He will not be able to be a 'stud' snake without risking more damage to himself. And he will have to be monitored in regards poo as well, just in case he can't quite get it out one day.

He's basically in retirement now, living as an old man that may need occasional help but at least he can live out the rest of his days in peace now.

SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  09:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe you should start a retirement community for old snakes...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page