Substrate? What you all using?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tizzy
Egg

68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  20:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've spent most of the afternoon doing a mega one handed viv clean (just had sugery as those from tcs will know) anyway to cut a long story short the hand isn't going to ever get much better so i've decided that the vivs have to become abit more..er.. cleaner friendly. I still want to give all my scaley buddies what's best but i'm not gonna be as fussed about them looking pretty.

I've ditched the Substrate from my Leo's and Boas (and some of the plants that are a pain to clean)in favour of a few layers of thick lining paper (i've got 17 rolls that were meant to go up on my stairs but never did so it was handy) and im going to keep using the beech chips for my beardies because they like to dig in it, i'm also not gonna change the corn vivs from Orchid bark coz they burrow so much but i'm really not sure what to do for my Sinaloan Milk snake - Never seen mine burrow but also never seen them kept on paper either.

He/She has 2 hides a big branch and a nice hunk of rock as well as an XL exo water dish i just can't decide if paper will be ok.

Cheers for reading the essay, all replys greatfully recieved.

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  20:15:18  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use newspaper lining the bottom of the vivs with shredded paper for the ones that like to burrow - dead easy!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  20:23:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use hemp,it is like aspen.If im feeling a bit lazy and the mrs aint about i just pick out any horrible bits and vacuum it out then give the vac a spray with the disenfectant,idea for you if your one handed,im going to get my own litte vac for the job

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
Egg

68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  20:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Guys, Lining paper is then! I got fed up of aspen i find it really messy, it sicks to everything when it gets wet and flies everywhere when it's dry.

When i'm cleaning out i scoop out most of the substrate with an old dustpan and sick it on the flower bed then i too hoover out last few bits and spray with disinfectant and wipe with kitchen roll. My mrs dosent mind too much well as long as i'm not asking him to do it for me anyway. Bless him it's bad enough he has to do my shoelaces, bra straps and buttons.

Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  11:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about reptile-carpet??? you have 2 sets per cage and just wash it once a week and switch while the other dries....
http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=487

i use it with my corn and it seems to work well...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

Darren
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use carpet for my king snake covers up to the heat mat and take it out for cleaning and puts the a clean one in seems to work well she seems happy
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  19:14:02  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i've never used repti-carpet, how much hassle is it to actually clean? (it all sounds good in theory!)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
Egg

68 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  19:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i was a bit concered about the amount of chemicals in the washing machine, i use tons of softeners and stain reomvers and stuff (3 kids and a hubby) and even when i run a cycle with nothing in there's still tons of bubbles, that can't be healthy for our scaley buddies. He's been on the paper for 24 hours+ and doesn't seam to mind so we'll see how it goes for now.

Go to Top of Page

Darren
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  09:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just clean the dirty bit of carpet with hot water and some elbow grease it seem to work & clean the viv out with cleaner from the reptile shop or a friend told me used a jet setting on the hose.
Any mess the snake do’s I scoop out so the carpet not to bad
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  11:35:04  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HMmmmm! im tempted to look into this carpet gear just for my king as he seems to drag all the hemp around with him and it all ends up at one end,messy buggerdo it hold wee ect or do it soak right through to the viv floor?

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  17:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading a book the other day and it said that normal carpet is just as useful as reptile carpet. Plus you can pay a bit more and get a thick shag pile which the snakes might like.

I'm off to the corn snake now Tizzy to find out what's happened to your hand. I'm feeling for you already without even knowing the details.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000