1: keeping a record of feed... it reads -

DATE TIME SIZE AMOUNT WEIGHT

13-Dec-08 19:00 SMALL FLUFF 1 N/A

19-Dec-08 17:00 SMALL FLUFF 1 N/A
PINKY 1

26-Dec-08 20:00 SMALL FLUFF 1 N/A
PINKY 2

she is getting hungrier and hungrier
was told at shop she was fed x1 small fluff (mouse) weekly ,now she eats 3 (the pinkys are what i had left over from a corn and she is wolfing them down, besides there is not much size difference between a smalll fluff and pinky)
if i offered her 3 small fluffs she would gobble them, and more!

details:

CF08 (told DOB is march)
LENGTH : approx 24"
WIDTH : 3/4" (2cm) at fattest point (about 2 and 1/2" if wrapped around her widest point)
WEIGHT : N/A
POO : regular ,usually 3 days after each feed

second - i cannot get hold of the new vivarium for her till the new year - a proper wooden front open glass door lock habistat set up (like my pythons)

now with the pythons set up - it is awesome cos its all on timers and keeps a fantastic regulating heat -
but my milk is in a plastic viv/heat mat underneath - it keeps a good temp underside but my thermometer reads 65.f on the surface - i have put a spot lamp on top and that raises the surface temp to 70.f (spot lamp is out side the viv on top shining thru the plastic and air vent)
when switched off at night(lamp), i find my milk under the substrate as close to the heater mat as possible (heat mat outside the plastic viv)
next to my python set up... this just feels cruel (hotel next to slum) , but yet this basic set-up is text book and what is recommended for begginners (even tho she wont be in it for long)

is their any quick remedy heat lamps for plastic viv's till i can give her a palace in january ?

PHEW! well its been busy in our snake household

who said looking after milksnakes were easier than pythons ( KAZ )

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  10:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is honest!

I think the milk will be ok with the set up you've got until January. It's not long now and they seem a bit more hardy than Royals. A few degrees won't hurt. Plus he's eating well so he must be happy.

His he active enough?

Go to Top of Page

Baldyman666
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  18:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kazerella

It is honest!

I think the milk will be ok with the set up you've got until January. It's not long now and they seem a bit more hardy than Royals. A few degrees won't hurt. Plus he's eating well so he must be happy.

His he active enough?

thanx for the confidence kaz , activity wise she moves a lot, but needs more space now, we have her out a lot during the non-feed periods so np there. food wise - can they eat too much ???
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  21:05:07  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you're struggling getting the temps up what substrate are you using? and how thick is it over the heatmat?
if it's aspen or chippings or similar, make sure it's only a very thin layer over the mat or it will have an insulating effect and the heat won't get through. a temporary fix might be to use paper as substrate to allow the heat through more?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2008 :  21:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes they can eat too much, but it's less likely in kings because some are more picky than corns. Corns will eat whatever you give them, while most kings will be more reluctant to eat if not hungry (even though they will shove it down in the end).

Best just to keep an eye on the weight of your king and if it seems to be piling it on, then cut down a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Baldyman666
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  18:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx kaz - well as promised ziggy now has a 36x15x15 glass front slide locker wooden viv / aspen and coconut husk split substrate with log and two hides.
has a 25watt pygmy bulb for top heat and heater mat under (timers of plugs to follow) pictures to follow :) (yes we have started a viv stacker system and the whole family has caught the bug - oh yeh! )

so ziggy now has her palace aswell as the python -

gonna keep a tag on her weight (gutsy pigsnake lol)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000