New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumbo71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  11:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all i have been lurking around this forum for a few months now and am imperssed with the knolage that you guys have between you's :-) this is my first post i have a male albino king snake who weigh's 0.75 Kilograms (kg) = 1.65 Pounds (lbs.) and he is 4 foot 8 and a half inches long he has been off his food for about a month now i did have problems regulating the temps in viv at first but that is all sorted temp is at 29c - 85F and he still not eating
where as i also have a female king snake in a viv set up the same and temps are the same and she will eat anything that comes her way i think she would eat me given half a chance lol
any advice is gratfully appreacheated
thank you for taking the time to read about my problem

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  18:06:32  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya Gumbo and welcome to the forum.
First off I wouldn't worry to much about him deciding not to eat for a short while, he's a fair sized lad by the sounds of it so a few weeks without eating wont do him much harm.
All I can suggest at the moment is to keep offering him food (only on your normal feeding schedule) and hope he decides to eat.

Has anything changed for him since he stopped eating? New viv? Different location for viv etc?
I'm also assuming you have a temp gradiant and one end of the viv is cooler?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  21:26:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sound like you have a very large king there. I wouldn't worry about him not eating at the moment, its a funny time of year. Are you planning on brumating him?

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

gumbo71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  21:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thank you for the reply yes viv is cooler at 1 end and i havnt moved them about or from one place to another the only time anything changes is when i change the substrate once a month i have the snakes in the quitest room in the house witch is my bedroom the only thing i can think is he might be able to smell my female king dora as his viv is stacked on top of hers and he might be feeling a bit horny ?? other then that im stumped i have tried him on rats as he didnt want mice but he had no intrest in them at all where as if i throw a mouse in he seems as shows some intrest IE he sniffs around it and plays about with it but then he just bury's it under the substrate i do strike feed them as it is suppose to promote natural behaviour ? but in the end i just leave his mouse on the substrate in the bottom of viv
Go to Top of Page

gumbo71
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  21:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i am planing on brumating him so ill need all the advice i can get my female is slightly bigger them and heavier
Go to Top of Page

bluerain
Hatchling

United Kingdom
270 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  08:58:41  Show Profile  Click to see bluerain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you are going to brumate him then i wouldnt worry bout his not eating..as said, its that time of the year..I already have a good few of my Kings and Milks gone off feed!
The guys will keep you right whaenever you ask, but as brumation is almost upon us, him having an empty gut will only be an advantage.

Lots of Milks!! Few Royals, corns, Rosie Boas and Childrens Pythons. One Bci, and one Irian Jaya Carpet!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  22:48:09  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As bluerain said about it being a advantage it is also essential as any food in their system when their cooled down will rot and kill them

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000