Mites on Rorschach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eevosai45
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I noticed some mites while handling him so have cleaned out his tank and bathed him and he is on paper towels at the moment. Not sure where they came from, I use aspen but I did heat it in the oven for 45 mins on 140 degrees. Not sure if they might have come from the coconut half that i use as 1 of his hides(but i did pour boiling water over it before putting it in the tank). The only other thing I can think of is I haven't properly cleaned up after handling one of my lizards and it has transferred that way. Am going to have to be extra careful from now on.
I noticed some mites under his scales by his head after bathing him so I re-bathed him and hoping they will fall out. I don't really feel comfortable using frontline with so many people saying how dangerous it can be but are there any tips on getting rid of mites from under the scales.
My brother has also found mites on his new Corn snake(he also uses Aspen, could this be the cause?)

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  15:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a pet-shop bought mite treatment you can use called Mite-off. That is safer than frontline.

Also look into Hypoaspis mites, which are a biological control, so is safer to use. Basically they are mites that you introduce to eat the bad mites, then they die off themselves when the food is gone.

But I think you are already taking the right steps with daily baths and no substrate. Unfortunately it's a long process, but continue what you are doing for at least 6-8 weeks and hopefully you will get sorted. I sometimes give my snakes a coating of olive oil too as this can help to stop the oxygen reaching the mites hiding under the scales so is effective.

Is either your corn, lizard or your king relatively new? I've found that mites are more likely to come from a new addition than from substrate etc. Mites can go unnoticed for quite a while so your snake could have had them a month or so without you realising.

Go to Top of Page

eevosai45
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  15:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kaz,

thanks for the info, I will look into those. I have tried once with a little olive oil but he is a bit of a mardy guy and doesn't like having a tissue run over him(guess he'll just have to deal with it ).
Rorschach is the newest addition and was actually bought at the exact same time and place my brother bought his(his corn also has mites) and they had both just been handled and fed before we bought them so I suppose the mites could have been on them then.
I only noticed the mites under his scales yesterday as usually it wont let me go near his head but when i noticed the mites on my hand while handling him I bathed him and he wasn't bothered about me going near his head after that.
I didn't realize it was such a long process to get rid of them but if it helps the little guy I will keep at it.
Anyway really appreciate the info and I will keep you posted

eevosai45
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  15:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checked that Mite-off and it seems really good. Is it true in what it says that you can spray straight onto your snake even near its eyes?

eevosai45
Snake Mite

39 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  17:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just came home tonight and Rorschach's shed hah, pre-mature shed due to mites. Mostly one piece but a few little. It has got rid of the mites from his neck though woot . Gonna throw coconut half and get resin hide just invade any mites survived it

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  12:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently so with the mite-off, although I wouldn't spray too near the eyes just in case. But at least you don't have to worry about avoiding the head like you do with Frontline.

It is a long process, but eventually he'll be mite free. It's always better to keep up with the mite treatment for longer than you deem appropriate, just because the longer you do the more unlikely it is that they'll appear again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000