New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darren
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need help had my king snake over a year now and we are doing great she out must days and comes to me with no problem but just got a 4 ft corn from someone that didn’t want it anymore and was told it been handled but I think they not been near the snake because as I go near the corn she strikes out & hissing at me even hitting the glass front . When we got her she was in a 2 ft by 2 ft by 10ins glass viv with cracks all over the thing cover in tape so happy we got her & was happy to pay £40 just to get her away from the people that had her she now in a 3ft plastic viv until I finish the wooden one I fixing I put a old plant pot in there as she didn't have a hide in the old viv and she don’t seem to come out only at feeding time witch she doing fine with large mice they was feeding her small mice it just the striking all the time how do I go about getting her to settle down so we can pick her up if it a she ?
Thank you for your time Darren

Gmac
TKS Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  23:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi darren, would suggest you nip across to www.thecornsnake.co.uk and do a search through there, there is a lot of good info.

Good luck with the taming,

9.6 Corns, 1.0 Bci, 2.1 Royals, 1.1 king snakes, 0.0.1 milksnake, 1.1 black rat snakes, 1.2 Beardies, 1.0 shovelface

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  10:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you'll be alright Darren if you perservere. Corns are normally really tame, so this one is probably just reacting to the bad time she's had in the past.

I would concentrate on getting the set up right first before trying to handle. Give her a lot of time to settle in and then try slowly. Her behaviour seems to be purely defensive, so it means she doesn't feel secure yet. Hopefully once she's got used to a viv that's the right size for her and realises that her new home isn't the nasty place she's used to she may be more susceptable to contact with you.

When the time is right just take it slow. Maybe just let her get used to your hand in the viv for a few days, then move to touching her body for a few seconds each day for a week. Hopefully once she knows you are not a threat then she will calm a little and allow you to handle her. Be responsive to her moods- if she looks anxious then leave her, but if she looks receptive then try to get her out for a few minutes.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  22:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother inherited a corn that was very aggressive/defensive when you tried to pick it up. Wearing gloves means that any bite won't harm you and the snake should calm down with regular handling. After a few months my brother and I were both confident enough to pick the snake up without coverting our hands and the snake has never shown any aggression since. Keep the handling sessions short to begin with and let try to learn your snakes behaviour. If it is getting overly aggitated then put it back in the viv and try again in a day or two

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  19:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying and learning as you go is the best way to learn - that's how you become experienced

Keep us informed on how you get on

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000