The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Glass viv's and substrate ques !?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matthompson Posted - 17/07/2009 : 14:27:53
Hi everyone

Just want to get some views on a couple of points. I'm setting up for a variable kingsnake. I prefer an all glass enclosure, although these don't seem common for snakes !?? Also as a desert snake I'd like to use a sand substrate but again this doesnt seem common.

View on both very appreciated.

Many thanks
Mat
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
matty18714 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 20:54:22
Cheers, wrote it on TCS a few weeks ago and thought I had better save it.
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 19:52:37
nice pro/con list matty...
matty18714 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 18:36:56
Glass:

Pro's:

~ Easy to see animal and set-up
~ Easy to see dirt
~ Easy to clean
~ Has no problem with humidity (though thats not really needed for kings/milks)

Con's:

~ Doesnt hold heat well
~ Will get very hot if in sunlight
~ Can smash
~ Can crack if heatmat doesnt have ventilation
~ Snake can feel insecure
~ Can not fix light fittings to it
~ Depending on what kind of tank, some can only be opened from the top, which is fairly threatening for a snake

Wood:

Pro's:

~ Still fairly easy to clean
~ Removable front doors
~ Things can be screwed into the side of the viv
~ Holds heat well and is less affected by outside temps
~ Wooden vivs can be stacked ontop of each other
~ Snake is more likly to feel secure

Con's:

~ The wood can absorb moisture (including animal waste) if not sealed correctly
~ Less visability of pet
~ High humidity can be bad for the viv (not a problem with kings/milks)
Triangulum Posted - 17/07/2009 : 18:30:30
The only reason why "Fish Tank" style tanks are not overly common as most don't have suitable lids to keep a snake, Especially Lampropeltis species. You'd be suprised of what they can fit through, aswell as lift. Also, Glass Tanks are great for heating, either they give off to much heat which spreads through the hole glass panel on the bottom or they don't get hot enough. An other issue you have to look into is ventilation, not enough ventilation will make the atmosphere humid, especially with the waterbowl. As Lampropeltis species usually come from dry arid enviroments, a high humidity cage is only going to produce problems like mouth rot and respiratory infections.

In my opinion. If it's a display set-up you'd like, I go for Wooden Vivarium, Very secure and easy to clean. Great for regulating heat, nice to look at and come in different finishes. If it's just a suitable cage your after, I would house in a Plastic Tub. RUB's or other brands of Plastic containers, Obviously drilled with appropriate ventilation.

Scott
lee2308 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:51:08
i have peices of slate in all my vivs for feeding on but my cali likes to drag it around for 10 mins before eatingso now i let her strike it and coil then lift her and the prey out into a tub.It is best to feed in a tub but some snakes wont.
matthompson Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:41:29
Thanks for your responses guys. Yes I can see how an F/T rodent could pick up a lot more rubbish than a live kill.

Does everyone here remove the snake for feeding ? Also how about if half the viv was a stone/slate base for clean feeding or would that be irrelevant as the snake could move onto the substrate while swallowing !?
magneticblue Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:39:26
As has already been stated if you get a glass viv then you may need to cover at least two of the sides so that your snake feels secure. As well as this you may find it difficult to maintain a temperature gradient in a glass viv
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:01:31
its just a case of keeping your captive specimens as healthy as possible so we do things to prevent problems that might occur... im sure this kind of thing hapens in the wild and if it doesn't it might be bacuse snakes are feeding on dry, live rodents rather than F/T ones which when wet an pick and hold the substrate more easily...
Kehhlyr Posted - 17/07/2009 : 16:38:45
Wild snakes are a LOT hardier (in some respects) than captive snakes, so the eating of substrate would probably not pose as much of a problem to wild animals.
matthompson Posted - 17/07/2009 : 15:43:20
Many thanks for your response. While I understand the the concept of a snake consuming substrate while eating if this feeds on sand in the wild should this be a concern !?
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 15:29:38
the glass viv like an exo-terra would be fine, although snakes don't like to feel exposed so you might want to cover a couple of the sides up with something...
And sand i think is fine as long as you feed out of the viv so there is no chance of impaction...
any1 else pls feel free to correct me...

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000