The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Mites

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
headlow Posted - 16/07/2009 : 22:16:00
As I'm new to this I have a quick question regarding snake mites. I have one snake, I don't know anyone else who has a snake, and therefore don't handle any other snakes.

Is it still possible for my snake to catch mites?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bluerain Posted - 21/07/2009 : 07:34:26
As already said most usual way for mites to come into your collection, is on a new arrival! However substrates can carry them too, i usually put my aspen into the microwave for a few mins before use. First signs your snake may have them is, they will spend alot of time in their water bowls, and go off feed!! If you look really closely at an infected snake , the mites can actually be seen crawling on the surface of their scales late at night!!
They hide in the substrate and viv furnishings during the day, and usually only come out to suck the snakes blood at night, so best chance of spotting them is then..often you will find dead ones in the water dish!!
Hopefully though, with luck you will never have to deal with them, they are hard to get rid of once they take up residence!!
magneticblue Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:43:27
I've had problems with mites twice in the past. The first time I'm sure my snake had them when I bought it as I found them a few days after the purchase. The second time I found 5 or 6 mites in Jasmin's hide. I still have no idea where they came from. I don't think it was from the substrate as I use the same substrate with all my snakes but it was only Jasmin that got mites. In both cases I used frontline to treat the snakes and they never returned
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 15:30:59
ah, i'll check that out then...
Kazerella Posted - 17/07/2009 : 11:49:40
about 2 mms as adults so you can understand why most people don't know they've got them until it's quite a bad infestation. The eggs and young are impossible to see. There's a picture on the care sheets I think- right at the bottom in the common complaints section.
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 11:39:14
How big are mites?
Kazerella Posted - 17/07/2009 : 10:24:06
I think you'll be ok- we've had mites once and they were a nightmare, but they came into the house with the snake and I think most outbreaks are from new arrivals.

Basic hygiene practices should see you right
headlow Posted - 17/07/2009 : 09:15:17
Well I've recently changed from orchid bark to beech chippings, simply cos it's easier to spot clean :)
lee2308 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 00:03:16
thats right scott,i forgot about substrates,so yes you can still get them but the risk is lower if you use dry substrate like aspen or beech chippings,i have heard of mites being found in orchid bark which should be baked first.
Triangulum Posted - 16/07/2009 : 23:27:04
Unfortunetly, Mites can crop up from anywhere, Regardless if you bring in a new snake or handled one with Mites. They usually harbour in substrates such as bark chips. I have been keeping snakes for years and (touch wood) never had an incident. It's nothing to worry about, it only is, when you have it im afraid.

Take it easy,
Scott
lee2308 Posted - 16/07/2009 : 22:44:03
no,unless you handle other snake in rep shops ect,i think they might pick something up from grass too.Oh and second hand decor,vivs can harbour eggs.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000