New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I'm new to this I have a quick question regarding snake mites. I have one snake, I don't know anyone else who has a snake, and therefore don't handle any other snakes.

Is it still possible for my snake to catch mites?

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:44:03  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no,unless you handle other snake in rep shops ect,i think they might pick something up from grass too.Oh and second hand decor,vivs can harbour eggs.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  23:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunetly, Mites can crop up from anywhere, Regardless if you bring in a new snake or handled one with Mites. They usually harbour in substrates such as bark chips. I have been keeping snakes for years and (touch wood) never had an incident. It's nothing to worry about, it only is, when you have it im afraid.

Take it easy,
Scott

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  00:03:16  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats right scott,i forgot about substrates,so yes you can still get them but the risk is lower if you use dry substrate like aspen or beech chippings,i have heard of mites being found in orchid bark which should be baked first.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  09:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I've recently changed from orchid bark to beech chippings, simply cos it's easier to spot clean :)

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  10:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you'll be ok- we've had mites once and they were a nightmare, but they came into the house with the snake and I think most outbreaks are from new arrivals.

Basic hygiene practices should see you right

Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  11:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big are mites?

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  11:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
about 2 mms as adults so you can understand why most people don't know they've got them until it's quite a bad infestation. The eggs and young are impossible to see. There's a picture on the care sheets I think- right at the bottom in the common complaints section.

Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  15:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah, i'll check that out then...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  17:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had problems with mites twice in the past. The first time I'm sure my snake had them when I bought it as I found them a few days after the purchase. The second time I found 5 or 6 mites in Jasmin's hide. I still have no idea where they came from. I don't think it was from the substrate as I use the same substrate with all my snakes but it was only Jasmin that got mites. In both cases I used frontline to treat the snakes and they never returned

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

bluerain
Hatchling

United Kingdom
270 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  07:34:26  Show Profile  Click to see bluerain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As already said most usual way for mites to come into your collection, is on a new arrival! However substrates can carry them too, i usually put my aspen into the microwave for a few mins before use. First signs your snake may have them is, they will spend alot of time in their water bowls, and go off feed!! If you look really closely at an infected snake , the mites can actually be seen crawling on the surface of their scales late at night!!
They hide in the substrate and viv furnishings during the day, and usually only come out to suck the snakes blood at night, so best chance of spotting them is then..often you will find dead ones in the water dish!!
Hopefully though, with luck you will never have to deal with them, they are hard to get rid of once they take up residence!!

Lots of Milks!! Few Royals, corns, Rosie Boas and Childrens Pythons. One Bci, and one Irian Jaya Carpet!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000