The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 New Mexican Black - Lucy... and a few questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
snakelady Posted - 08/07/2009 : 10:15:33
Morning all
Lucy arrived home last night, she is a mexican black, hardly underweight, and barley dehydrated at all. I reckon they must have had a mouse problem before she escaped!! Not now though!
I Love her!

Couple of questions
1. what humidity does she need
2. what size viv does she need for life, some care sheets say 2x2x2
some say3x2x2 and some say 4x2x2
Want to get hte right size, please help, am confused!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snakelady Posted - 21/07/2009 : 12:24:29
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf1976

quote:
Originally posted by snakelady

Cheers, think I've got it now, IT bloke came up to show me where I was going wrong, had a right sarky sneer on his face though!!

You don't get told off for doing non-work stuff at work? heheh

beautiful snake :) I wish I had room for one of those heheh

I made him come up when I was on break, we ok to use then.
Other than that, just try not to get caught!
snakelady Posted - 21/07/2009 : 12:23:45
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

should of slapped him lol

Bit too harsh methinks!
Beowulf1976 Posted - 21/07/2009 : 12:00:10
quote:
Originally posted by snakelady

Cheers, think I've got it now, IT bloke came up to show me where I was going wrong, had a right sarky sneer on his face though!!

You don't get told off for doing non-work stuff at work? heheh

beautiful snake :) I wish I had room for one of those heheh
lee2308 Posted - 21/07/2009 : 11:39:36
should of slapped him lol
snakelady Posted - 21/07/2009 : 08:12:58
quote:

when you have your picture on photobucket you are given the choice of 3 links,just use the img one,i will look at the others for you.

lee2308 Posted - 20/07/2009 : 17:37:36
when you have your picture on photobucket you are given the choice of 3 links,just use the img one,i will look at the others for you.
snakelady Posted - 20/07/2009 : 13:28:43
quote:

very nice,i edited the link for you,if you use the link starting with [img] it will come up

Cheers, still getting the hang of it! Went back and edited the photos on the two other sites with the image thingy and they have red crosse next to them now, but if the link is clicked on they do work, am really naff at this stuff!!!
lee2308 Posted - 20/07/2009 : 13:05:36
very nice,i edited the link for you,if you use the link starting with [img] it will come up
snakelady Posted - 20/07/2009 : 11:39:55
picture of Lucy at last!

hope you can see it, am crap at this suff!

edit...picture link
snakelady Posted - 20/07/2009 : 08:08:00
thanks for the answeers to my breeding questions guys!
OH was right then, grrr, he'll nver let me forget that he (the non snake person) knew something I didn't! LOL

If we do decide to go ahead and breed her in time, I will definitly get another mexi black.

Little sausage bit me again on saturday!, Ah, the life of a snake keeper eh?
magneticblue Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:36:13
You can breed just about any kings together as far as I understand (or kings with corns) but the offspring will be a hybrid and there is no way of knowing what they will look like. You could end up with some really stunning looking snakes that you can sell easily, or you could end up with snakes that nobody wants to buy and you will be stuck with and you have to consider what you woould do if this turned out to be the case. In my opinion you would be better off getting another mexi black and breeding them together. As for age, kings need to be 3 years old as a minimum.
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 17:03:49
i think they probably could breed with other kingsnakes (i'm also no expert) but it would probably produce little snakies with a broken black pattern at least rather than the deep unbroken black of the MBK and people probably wouldn't want the hybrids...
Ive used a lot of probablys in there because i have no definitive answers...
Also you would probably need a snake that is about 2-3 years old minimum...
snakelady Posted - 17/07/2009 : 16:00:21
Hiya
I have totally fell for this little angel, and I considering getting a male for eventual breeding.
So I have a question, which might seem Doh! to you lot, but I just don't know.
What I want to know is, should I only breed her with another mexi black or is any kingsnake ok?
I ask because OH convinced that they are a sub species and should only be bred with other mexi's. Is this true?
I was hoping to get an albino cali king but if he is right then obv that is out.
I haven't done a lot of reading on taxonomy side yet, but I will.
Also, as she is about 3 ft long and inch and half or more in width,how old do you reckon she is? They reckoned she was 6 - 8 weeks old when she escaped and she'd been gone a year, which by their reckoning makes her 14 months old, but it just doesn't ring right to me.
Also I would be wanting to get a male as a hatchling so what age would he be ready to breed at?

Thanks, I know it's a lot of questions!!
jono2411 Posted - 17/07/2009 : 15:30:19
haha, MBKs have no time for small meals!
snakelady Posted - 17/07/2009 : 12:21:56
it wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe but she shocked me as I couldn't see her head at the time, it was hidden from view by my arm, little scamp!
She seems to be taking offence at the smaller food items being offered, going to move her up to proper size now!

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000