The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 heating trouble..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Finlay Posted - 12/02/2009 : 23:16:49
hey guys, i picked my cali king up today and hes doing fine, settled well and everything.

theres one problem, ive got the heat mat on a thermostat and it cant reach the temperature i need it to, the temperature is at 76 farenheit above the substrate where the heat mat is.

ive got the fitting for a heat lamp but i cant fit a cover or anything over a heat lamp because its a glass tank and theres nowhere to fit it to. i dont want to risk putting one it because i dont want to burn my snake..

does anyone else have any ideas what i can do/use to up my temperature.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gingerpony Posted - 14/02/2009 : 19:58:41
definitely thin it out as best you can although it's difficult with orchid bark. probe is in the right place to get an accurate reading though
have you found the orchid bark increases the humidity drastically or did you bake it first to dry it out?
Finlay Posted - 13/02/2009 : 19:51:20
Hi again, my thermometer has one of those probe things on a wire and is at the top of the substrate inside the tank.

I am using orchard bark and its about 2cm deep
magneticblue Posted - 13/02/2009 : 17:15:05
Rememebr that your snake can burrow down under the substrate where it will be warmer. Also, have you got your themometer placed on the substrate or stuck to the side of the tank?
lee2308 Posted - 13/02/2009 : 08:20:30
What subtrate are you using,most can insulate the heat,so try thining it out over the mat area.I use aspen and had the same trouble unitl i thined it out.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000