heating trouble..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Finlay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  23:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see Finlay's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey guys, i picked my cali king up today and hes doing fine, settled well and everything.

theres one problem, ive got the heat mat on a thermostat and it cant reach the temperature i need it to, the temperature is at 76 farenheit above the substrate where the heat mat is.

ive got the fitting for a heat lamp but i cant fit a cover or anything over a heat lamp because its a glass tank and theres nowhere to fit it to. i dont want to risk putting one it because i dont want to burn my snake..

does anyone else have any ideas what i can do/use to up my temperature.

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  08:20:30  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What subtrate are you using,most can insulate the heat,so try thining it out over the mat area.I use aspen and had the same trouble unitl i thined it out.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rememebr that your snake can burrow down under the substrate where it will be warmer. Also, have you got your themometer placed on the substrate or stuck to the side of the tank?

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Finlay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  19:51:20  Show Profile  Click to see Finlay's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi again, my thermometer has one of those probe things on a wire and is at the top of the substrate inside the tank.

I am using orchard bark and its about 2cm deep
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  19:58:41  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
definitely thin it out as best you can although it's difficult with orchid bark. probe is in the right place to get an accurate reading though
have you found the orchid bark increases the humidity drastically or did you bake it first to dry it out?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000