The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 been an idiot with my cali king

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
donbot Posted - 14/01/2009 : 21:10:31
I have an albino cali king which I bought as an adult (my first and only snake) and we used to be very close, he was out with me almost every day. When I had my second child I admit he was neglected.. He was always fed, watered and cleaned but I didn't get him out for a long time. Please don't tell me how awful I am...I know!!!
The problem is that he seems now to be not used to be human contact and has become very aggresive. He shakes his tail and strikes whenever I go near him, which I have to admit makes me nervous. How do I get him used to me again without getting hurt in the process?! Someone please help me get my relationship back with my baby boy!

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 15/01/2009 : 21:11:50
Gp is right- a viv defensive snake should be allowed to come out on their own before you try and pick them up. Nagini is like this and we never pick her out of the tank. We just open the door and let her come out, then attempt a pick up.

You could also put a glove or sock of yours in his tank to quicken up him becoming used to your smell again.

Good Luck!
Gingerpony Posted - 15/01/2009 : 20:34:50
heya and welcome
mine were a bit neglected on the handling side of things when i had my little girl, don't feel bad, priorities have to change and like you said, they're fed, watered and clean so that's their requirements met. it's our own requirement of our snakes as pets that weren't met for a while.
if he's a bit 'viv-defensive' now, you could try just opening the viv door and letting him be nosey enough to come out and explore, then supporting his weight while he comes out, until you're holding him. it might take numerous attempt to get him interested enough to make the first move. once out they often settle down but still keep the handling session short - 5-10 mins.
magneticblue Posted - 14/01/2009 : 22:46:28
As said above, don't rush it. If you're worried about getting bitten then gloves are a good idea but once the snake is out of the viv then take the gloves off if you can so that he can get used to your smell. When I bought my king I was also told to wash my hands with the same soap before handling him so that he got used to that smell. Hope that helps
TLT Posted - 14/01/2009 : 21:51:18
SLOWLY dont rush it just put ur hand in his viv for a bit n let him get reaquainted with ur smell then afa a while start stroking him (wiv gloves if need be) n wen he stops strikin at u get him out a few mins each day. this is what i am doing with my cali as i brought her from a shop n thy didnt hav time for her luckily tho she is still a baby.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000