New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

francessweeney1
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  00:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please can anyone give me some pointers on trying to catch an escaped six month old king snake? tne longest he can be out is 24hrs and i have no idea where to start as i hear kings are incredible escape artists, i went to feed him this evening and he was gone, i have put talc on the floor around the food in case he is still in the vacinity at least we will know he is in the house but my son is heartbroken as the snake belongs to him and i am worried he wont live long outside his heated viv! any advise would be great, thanks X

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  10:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i would reccomend checking in warm/dark places and possibly high places as well, when I used to have a corn snake he escaped a couple of times and would always go for the curtain rail.... keep persevering tho, they can turn up at any point... good luck...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

francessweeney1
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  13:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your reply, can i ask how long yours was gone as i am worried 'strangles' will get to cold or worse starve! should i leave the door to the viv open a little in case he decides to go back in himself? also i cant see how on earth he got out in the first place its a complete mystery to me, how did yours get out?
Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  21:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my first snake went missing for about 8 months when i was younger, then he was found again... just keep searching... most of the time he only went missing for a couple of days...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

francessweeney1
Snake Mite

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  00:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for reply i have another question if you dont mind? hope i am not being to much of a headache! my middle son has an adult hamster and i was wondering if 'strangles' would attempt to eat him? snake is about two and half foot and bit fatter than a mans thumb so would not be able to swallow him but if he is realy hungry will he try? dont know where to keep the poor hamster for safety! should i put out food in couple of days if he is still gone to try and tempt him out? thanks again for your help X
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  01:03:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not being funny,but i would use the hamster as bait in a sense,if he cant fit through the bars of the cage put the heat mat and a hide on the ground next to the hamsters cage but only if it cant fit through the bars or it will have a go.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  17:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you put water down in the rooms?

A escaped snake is more likely to die of dehydration than it is from starvation and it should be plenty warm enough in the house for it to survive.

Also try making a few bottle traps:
http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

and don't give up hope! They like dark and warm, so check every where that meets those requirements.

Good luck

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  18:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S - most snakes are quite territorial, so place the viv on the floor and he might surprise you by finding his own way home.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000