New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  20:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My newly acquired 09 Mexican Black shed today. Measured the old skin at 19". I offered him a pinkie (his first feed with me). It's vanished without a trace, no mouse sized bulge in his body so I guess he's already ready for fluffs. I checked the faunarium to be sure he hadn't just hidden it.

That leads me on to my question, when should I feed him next? It was a week today since his last feed with his old owner and the pinkie was obviously too small. Do I offer him another pinkie today until I can get some fluffs?

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Ghost Corn | Motley Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Goliath Bird Eater | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar & Silver Dollars

theonlydarrenever
Hatchling

129 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  20:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could offer him one i guess.

you could try him next time on 2 pinkies instead of the 1. see how much of a bump is left then. if no bump, try him on a fuzzy? but i guess it all depends on how wide the snakes body is at the widest part.. yep? :)

1.1.0 - honduran milk snake
1.0.1 - royal python
0.0.1 - carolina corn snake

Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  22:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
give him 2 pinkies then when that is too little move to 3 then do the same with fuzzies.... thats what i did with His Lordship...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  19:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree- wait a week then feed two

Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
498 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  20:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I moved on to small mice after a few feeds on pinkies, it seemed to me that he wasnt getting enough out of them so just thought sod it, now hes on medium and has never turned his nose up at a feed regardless of the size I guess hes just a good eater.

1.0.0 Mexi Black (Snoop)
1.0.0 Milk Pueb (Lestat)
0.2.0 Mexi Black (no name)
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  01:39:37  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a couple of 2 pinky feeds just to build his stomach up and then give a fuzzy the next time

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  09:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. He's had 2 pinkies now. I'll pop out tomorrow and stock up on something bigger.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Ghost Corn | Motley Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Goliath Bird Eater | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar & Silver Dollars

Edited by - ViolentJ on 01/08/2009 16:03:26
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  13:04:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ViolentJ

Thanks everything. He's had 2 pinkies now. I'll pop out tomorrow and stock up on something bigger.

thats nice,were "things" now lol

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

ViolentJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  16:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol well you never know :P

Bought some fluffs today, they look like a much more appropriate size. Also swapped the carefresh for coco fibre the reason being that when he shed he retained an eye cap and bit of skin on his face (which has been removed) and I think the carefresh may have sucked the humidity up. I've got fibre in with my corn and that's always had a clean shed. He didn't want to come out! Was rattling like mad and it took me a good few minutes to get a grip on him but as soon as I did he was good as gold :)

Go to Top of Page

TheKenLaw
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  16:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little new to the site!!! I believe that my albino banded cali king is going into shed as it has refused food for the first time since i have had him (which is only about a month). how long after a shed should I offer food?
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  17:41:20  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I go for the next day.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000