Rex, our Yemen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  16:11:45  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is Rex, he is our Yemen Chameleon, he's a joint venture between Si and myself but I let Si do everything like feeding and stuff rofl, he's scary when he's hissing and all puffed up! rofl

1.0.0 Turkish Van - Oscar, 0.1.0 Avicularia Metallica - Penelope, 0.1.0 Arizona Mountain King - Tehya.
1.0.0 Black Labrador - Sam

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  16:13:26  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
P.S. Photos are courtesy of Simon. I nicked them from his album on my photobucket account lol

1.0.0 Turkish Van - Oscar, 0.1.0 Avicularia Metallica - Penelope, 0.1.0 Arizona Mountain King - Tehya.
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  16:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks great! How big is he?

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  18:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's nice! How hard are they to care for?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  21:19:23  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
looks cool

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  22:30:08  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kazerella

He's nice! How hard are they to care for?

Not that hard really you just sit and look at them and watch the other half do all the caring ;)

Go to Top of Page

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  22:36:50  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On a serious note as long as you have the basking area correct, give them plenty of places to hide, get a flexarium the correct size for the yemen (Rex crapped himself when he was a wee bairn when we put him in the flex he's in now so better half had to go out and buy the smallest one that was available at Hollybush at the time) Food is varied, he lives on morio worms and crickets with the occasional wax worm as a treat, we have a plastic cup (disposable drinking cup from Tesco comes in pack of 25 I think) which is tied to one of the vines using a simple twist tie and that's where his worms are placed and his locusts are allowed to roam free so that it gives him some "hunting" experience.

Word of advice, don't have a bright idea like Si did and throw some crickets in for them to hunt, they get fed up after one and then males are left free to eat leaves of devil's ivy and grow big enough to chirp at 3am in the morning, one male decided that as soon as lights went out at night until dawn in the morning was a good time to practice his chirping. When they died we actually couldn't sleep because of the silence lol. Also we are hoping that they didn't get busy with the old yeah and then lay eggs in the compost, pin heads will easily fit through the holes of a flexarium... am just waiting for the onslaught would be just our luck.

lol

If you would like a serious because you are interested in getting one reply then just nudge me again and I will respond as seriously as I possibly can ;)

Go to Top of Page

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  22:39:35  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by magneticblue

He looks great! How big is he?

without tail I'd say he was about six inches from chin to butt but I could be wrong, you are more than welcome to attempt a tape measure experiment, I've heard that they can bite effing hard and it really hurts.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  11:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crickets are pains in the bum as a live food really.

Lewy read somewhere that pinhead crickets that hatch from eggs inside the terrarium can eat an amphibian from outside in
We've only got 4 large crickets left in the house but they are all female so daren't give them to Cliff and Richard now just in case they'd lay their eggs before being eaten. The mighty Alberto wouldn't give them time though

The chirping is annoying, We have a brown cricket called Alfie that Lewy has decided is a 'pet' rather than food and he doesn't shut up! I might feed him to the sals and tell Lewy he died of old age (at 8 weeks old)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000