Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  18:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im still saying Aspen. I know the coconut fibre is dry, However, If the bowl is knocked or overturned, It's going to become very humid in there. Possibly encounting a Respiratory Infection. I've used Aspen for years, And have no problems. I can't reccomend coconut fibre, Unless it's for High humidity species, Which Pyro's arn't particually.

Scott

Go to Top of Page

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  12:14:33  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is no chance that my snake could knock her big ceramic bowl of water over, that's the whole point of the design of the bowl, unless it is lifted by mouth (such as a rabbit or any other furry that has it) then yes it can be tipped, although the animal has to be pretty damn strong.

Simon recommended coconut fibre, that's the stuff his corn has been on the whole time he's had her and there has never been an issue of water on fibre. To be honest unless I am out for the day, which I've not experienced yet since having Tehya, then there is no issue because I check her nearly every 5 minutes of the day anyway, so if there was a spillage it would be cleaned up immediately, but I have seen her coming in and out of her water and the water still gets left in the bowl, not on the substrate.

I would say out of any bedding you could use, for hygiene, coconut fibre is by far the best substrate because it is the only one that you can see moisture on, so you can clean up after your snakey as she does her poopys and wee wees lol

I'm not dissing aspen because I know that it is used widely in the snake community, all I'm saying is that I'm giving coconut fibre a go, she loves digging holes and tunnels in it and to be honest, it is the most natural substrate there is closely mimicking the dry soil of the snake's real habitat.

I might end up having to choose aspen yet, I don't know but at the moment I am giving coconut fibre a fair chance to prove itself to me.

Thanks Scott for your advice, I wasn't dissing you either, I'm just giving my opinion

1.0.0 Turkish Van - Oscar, 0.1.0 Avicularia Metallica - Penelope, 0.1.0 Arizona Mountain King - Tehya.
1.0.0 Black Labrador - Sam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000