Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  21:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there!

I picked up my Mexican Milk 3 weeks ago last Saturday. He was due for a feed that day, but the guy in the shop advised me to wait 4 or 5 days before feeding him. It's now approaching 5 weeks without food and I'm getting a bit concerned. Tonight I've offered him his sixth mouse since I've had him. He edged his way out of his hide and sniffed around the mouse for a while, then had a drink and went to another hide. I have tried braining the mouse, and putting the snake and mouse in a smaller container but as yet nothing has succeeded. The guy in the shop says that they never had any success with feeding him by hand so I think that's out.
Last week when I called into the shop the guy said that he shouldn't have went this long without food, as he was an avid feeder whilst he was with them. I've no reason to doubt him, as the snake is in very good shape.
Being in an unheated converted roof-space I had problems maintaining the correct temperatures at the start, but thats been sorted and has been stable for the last week or so.
The guy in the shop says he might be due a shed, and I've noticed that he's went quite milky on his underside. I've also not handled him since the weekend in an effert to make him feel more secure.
He's also not as active as he was, and spends most of his time in the hide at the warm end.
If he doesn't eat tonight, I'll not get to try again till next Wednesday as I'm of to England. I'm hoping that either he'll shed or more time on his own will help him acclimatise more. He'll not be botherd much whilst I'm away as my father isn't that fond of snakes, and is only gonna change the water, and keep an eye on the temps ect.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions?

Many thanks,

Justin

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  23:32:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds like he is due to shed and with the previous heat problems that could be the cause,i wouldnt even try to feed until he has shed and with the peace and quite while your away might do the trick,then try again.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  12:09:42  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
exactly as per lee's reply, if he's shedding he might not be interested, and knock the handling on the head till he feeds regularly.
6 weeks without food isn't really a long time (says the hardened Royal owner!!) but obviously it would be better if he fed regularly. weigh him asap and then weigh him either weekly or fortnightly to monitor if he's losing any weight.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  10:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he sniffs the food it would suggest he is interested in it but he may be too timid to take the food item. Try leaving him alone in a small RUB and see if he takes it then, or alternatively leave him with the food in a tied pillow case where he will hopefully feel safe and eat.

These are tricks I try with my fussy Royal. My Kings are hoovers and dart straight out of their vivs at the meerest suggestion of food! I am sure he will start feeding regularly in due course. Keep an eye on his weight if you are concerned as SS suggests..

Good luck.

1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  21:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just arrived back from my trip this evening to find that his eyes have turned blue, so it seems he is due to shed. When can I expect this to happen?

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose

Edited by - headlow on 02/06/2009 21:55:29
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  22:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expect it to take 2-3 days until his eyes clear and then another 2-3 days until he actually sheds.

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  08:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His eyes are clear this morning, so he should shed in the next few days. Hopefully then I'll be able to get him to eat!

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  09:16:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
could be any time with in the next week diablos cleared 2 days ago and still waitng.Once shed just give him 24hrs to get his breath back,so to speak.Then feed him

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Edited by - lee2308 on 04/06/2009 09:17:27
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  12:17:50  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
note everything on a calendar, when you notice your snake's eyes going blue, when they clear and when he actually sheds - that way you get to know what's normal for your particular snake

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  22:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Colin shed last night. He had some difficulties though........He still had some patches of the old skin, but they came off quite easily. Now he's back to looking as good as when I got him, and also very lively.
I also took the opportunity to weigh him today and he's roughly 2.8 ounces.
I've tried feeding him tonight again, but as yet no luck. If he doesn't feed I plan on leaving him completely alone, and trying on both Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I really do hope he starts eating again soon!

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  17:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My king has just been off his food for 7 weeks, but ate last night. Don't give up hope just yet, sometimes they are funny feeders but they usually feed eventually.

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  17:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats good news Kaz. Hopefully Colin will eat for you as well headlow

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  17:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes so Do I. I'm gonna try him again tonight,as he never went near the mouse on Tuesday. I've tried everything......braining, RUB, putting the mouse in his hide. Very frustrating. When I bought him the shop owner told me he was on small mice, so that's what I've been trying him with. Should I maybe go down a size to see if I can get him started.
I'm thinking it's maybe something I'm doing wrong! The warm end of his tank is around 28/29 Celsius, and the cool end 22/23. I also use a heat mat to keep the tank around 70 fahrenheit at night, as per the shop owners instructions. Is this OK?

I have bought a book, and he shows none of the signs of any illness described in the book.

I've also stopped handling him everyday in an attempt to make him feel more secure. His viv is quite large....3ft by 1 and a half, but there is plenty of decor and hides and stuff.
Also I'm using a 75 watt exo terra daylight basking bulb as his main heat source, but in the exo terra guide it doesn't recommend it for king snakes, though they do recommend the standard daylight bulb...maybe that's stressing him out.

I'm completely new to this and I'd hate it if the snake was suffering due to my incompetence's!

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose

Edited by - headlow on 11/06/2009 18:00:13
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2009 :  16:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he's well then he won't be suffering.

One of the best things I've learnt about snakes is that sometimes they just don't eat because they aren't hungry/can't be bothered and you have to learn to not worry about that.

Keep the temps right, check for illness, do everything you should be doing, keep trying and they usually start to eat again when they are ready.

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  09:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update.......

As Colin still hadn't fed, last Friday I visited the store where I bought him. The guy was downright rude and more or less told me that it wasn't his problem. When I returned home I phoned around reptile shops in the local area, and a guy in Belfast told me to bring the snake down to him, which I did on Saturday morning.

He examined Colin thoroughly and told me that I had an extremely healthy, well kept snake. However he did question the advice I was given by the original dealer on feeding. Turns out, that at that very time he had 4 other snakes from that place who stopped feeding after they left the store. One girl, who's corn snake hadn't fed for ten weeks was told to ''get out of my shop and never come back''! How's that for after sales support? :(
The guy in Belfast wanted to hold on to Colin for a week or so to try different methods of feeding, and also different prey items. I was more than happy for him to do this as I was beginning to get very worried.
Late on Sunday evening i received a phone call from the guy to say that Colin had fed.....turns out he's not that fond of mice......he much prefers rat pups :) The guy wants to feed him again at the weekend just to make sure it wasn't a one off, then I'll get him back. He's also gonna explain to me exactly how he fed Colin.....I'm new to this remember!!!!

Put it this way....I'll never set foot in the original dealers shop again...even though it is on my doorstep!

1.0.0 Mexican Milk
0.0.1 Mexi Black
0.0.3 Corns
0.1.0 Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2009 :  11:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea, sounds like you've found a good one now anyway.

Some rep shop owners don't care about the animals they sell, which is bad, but at least you are aware of it now. Hopefully he'll go out of business

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000