Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  20:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it alway best to feed out of viv.

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  20:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not always. For example, if you have a snake that is reluctant to feed, then feeding it in the viv will stop it stressing out.

If the snake is happy to feed out of the viv then thats what I would suggest. It removes the possibility of the snake eating substrate and stops the snake thinking its getting fed when you open the viv.

Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  20:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv had 3year old albino cali king, tried to feed twice out viv, its inly been nearly 3week since last feed, i didnt no wither to try in viv,
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  21:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found that if I leave my snakes out of the viv in a RUB for about 10-20 minutes before I offer the food then they tend to accept it more readily. If you try to feed them as soon as you get them out they may feel insecure as they haven't had time to insepect their surroundings before you try to give them food.

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  21:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did try that the other day but still didnt, also he very active and keeps going rnd the viv like looking for sumthing, i just this min tried to feed in viv still not intrested, its only been just under 3week but when handle him it like he looking for food
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  21:29:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i feed 3/4 of my snakes in their vivs as they stopped feeding in rubs,saves having to disturb them.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  21:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i just tried i left it in viv at min and he just keep going over it likeit just a log lol. It has also been brain, im not really concern but when handle him he very active and seem like looking for food and im worried he mite bite
Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  10:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
left mouse in viv over nite got up this morning was still, there iv checked that set up right and it seem right with what ppl say on here
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:12:38  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would leave it a week between trying to feed

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ill leave another week, today he has just been going rnd the viv, slowely, with his tonge flicking in and out, he hasnt done this since we have had him, is this normal
Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i no mite seem silly question,
Go to Top of Page

CharlieD
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert but I have a empty ice cream box for Cleo. That way she has no distractions, no chance of eating the substrate and knows that when I put her in the ice cream box that she's about to get fed.. If she doesn't eat then I shut her in it with the pinkie for 10 mins and it is always gone when I open it up again.. I personally dont like the idea of her associateing the viv opening with food coming in hence the ice cream tub... Could try to warm the mouse (not cook) in water before offering it to the snake so that it is more like a just dead mouse.. I've heard that some owners will kill a live mouse in a CO2 tanks and then feed it straight away to the snake so that it is still warm and fresh..

0.1.0 Calli 50/50 High white phase - Cleo
Go to Top of Page

Mark and Emma
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  15:54:58  Show Profile  Click to see Mark and Emma's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
instead of killing the mouse in a CO2 tank you may as well just try and feed it live, i know it can be bad for the snake but so can starving to death :/ it should only be done as a last resort before force feeding tho, not just somthing you do for your mates to have a laugh lol.
Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  17:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ill keep that in min i have put in rub with mouse didnt work i warmed mouse up still didnt work, going to leave another week, could trying sumthing like a rat work,
Go to Top of Page

jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  17:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you should take your snake to the vets soon, my snake that died a few days ago hadn't eaten in a while and for a bit this was the only sign that something was wrong...

1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake : Baron Samedi
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake : (Hercule) Poirot
0.1.0 Striped Splotched Sinaloan Milksnake : Arminia
0.1.0 Pueblacorn - Cleopatra
0.0.3 Fire-Bellied Toads: Ghengis Khan, Bruce Lee & Chairman Mao

Go to Top of Page

snow
Egg

62 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think leave it for bit only had him bout 2wks and was fed the week before. I no lee mention it look month before his new king fed so mite leave it another week
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000