Heating question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eurydice
Snake Mite

1 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  05:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm the owner of a 6 year old black and white banded California kingsnake named Orpheus. We moved last August and are about to spend our first full summer in a south facing, hot, attic type room. Or I should say Orpheus is about to spend the summer here, since I'm out of town on business for two months.

My question is, given that the room will be quite hot during the day and cooler (but not cold) at night (mimicking the conditions of a desert, perhaps?) should I turn off his heating pad for the two months I am gone? I have a roommate who will be watering him, but I'm not sure she's up for temperature monitoring, so I would like to keep things as simple as possible for them both. I worry that with the heating pad and the room temperatures he'll be too hot. I can't move him to a different part of the house because the other roommates are less accepting of his presence.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

matty18714

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  09:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the heat mat is on a thermostat you should have few problems.

Edit - spelling

Edited by - matty18714 on 26/04/2009 09:57:44
Go to Top of Page

Mark and Emma
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  09:58:07  Show Profile  Click to see Mark and Emma's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you face the vivarium he's in away from the windows/direct sunlight & put tinfoil along the back of the vivarium to deflect the sun it shouldn't get too hot & if you have a thermostat that will shut off the heatmat if it gets too hot, other than that if it gets too warm there isnt much you can do about it, unless if you can move the vivarium to a cooler room(which you said you can't). Make sure your roomie puts cold water in everyday at the cool side of the tank, so if your snake does get too warm then he can always take a little dip in the "pool"

You didn't mention if your room mate is feeding your snake whilst you are gone? are you going to teach them to defrost a mouse? might be a good idea :)
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  12:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would definitely recommend leaving the mat on a stat. That way it will stay off when its warm enough and will keep your snake warm at night if the temperature does drop a bit low

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  16:25:23  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd be very concerned putting foil in the viv, it could potentially make it into a greenhouse/oven!
spend 24hours in the room, work out where is NOT in direct sunlight at ANY time of the day and place the viv there. your heat source should already be thermostatically controlled which would account for changes in ambient temperature and control the heating accordingly.
like M&E mentioned, who's feeding it while you're away? it's common for them to fast/brumate over winter but not summer!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  19:15:45  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think m&e meant on the outside of the viv.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  14:20:01  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
either way it'll reflect heat back into the viv, causing it to heat up rapidly, like a greenhouse effect

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000