Handling Tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnymachine
Egg

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  13:13:42  Show Profile  Click to see johnnymachine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for handling a flighty kingsnake? I know it's only been a few weeks, and he isn't used to me yet, but Julian tries hard to get away when he's being handled, and a lot of the pictures I've seen star pretty relaxed looking snakes being held.

Are there any specific ways to handle him, etc? I've worked out that he doesn't like being approached head on, so I only move my hand towards him from the side, seems to keep him calmer :P

johnnymachine - LEICESTER, UK

0.0.1 Desert Kingsnake

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  14:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can take awhile to get them used to being handled. As long as you support their bodies so they feel secure and let them move through your hands rather than trying to hold onto them it should get used to it eventually. I would also advise not standing up holding it up the air as that's got to be a bit daunting for a wee snake and there's also the risk you'll drop it. Alot of snakes are head shy so its best to keep your hands away from there for the moment. You just need to perserve

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 23/01/2012 14:25:46
Go to Top of Page

johnnymachine
Egg

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  17:57:27  Show Profile  Click to see johnnymachine's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah, thank you. The standing up thing didn't even occur to me. I support his body, but he literally slithers in a straight line, directly away from my body. He's a speedy little scamp XD

johnnymachine - LEICESTER, UK

0.0.1 Desert Kingsnake

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000