Snoopy, and housing temps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draven
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  01:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, new to the forum and just got a MBK whom I deeply love. I'm not a first time snake owner, I had two (albino gopher and corn) snakes when I was a younger lad. Though I must say I am much older and more educated now. I live in Texas (USA) and have him in a 30" tank. So far he seems quite happy but I'm having a rough time getting his cage set to the right temp. If I run his heat pad at full power, it easily heats his hot side to over 103 degrees celsius. I bought a power regulator (dimmer) but even with that on low his hot side reaches 94 degrees celsius fairly quickly.

Without a heat pad, my apt is usually 76 celsius during the day and 73 celsius by night. Using only A/C air his cage will stay around 85 during the day and 75 celsius at night. The only issues is there is no hot/cold side to his cage. I'm not sure how to properly balance this. I'm not positive what size the heating pad is (attached to the bottom of the glass) as it came with the cage its self. I'm thinking maybe I need to buy a smaller size.

Should I just let the A/C in my apartment regulate the temperature in his cage or should I find some way to properly balance a hot/cold side of his home during the summer? I'm sure in winter (which reaches 25-35 celsius during the evenings, will require the heat pad.

I just want to make sure he is happy and well loved.

draven
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  01:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photos of Snoopy can be found here

http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1815
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Egg

50 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  13:46:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you sure you mean celsius and not farenheight?? If it's celcius that is bloomin hot in your apt.

I'm not entirely certain but dimmer thermostats are not usually recommended for heat mats as the minimum wattage is to high. I would use an on/off mat stat or a pulse stat. I'm not sure if they are called the same thing in the states but that is what we have this side of the pond. How much of the tank bottom does the heatpad cover? It should cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank bottom, then with a thermostat to regulate the temperature and a digital probe thermometer to check the temperatures you should be able to get a reasonable warm and cool end.

Hope this helps

0.1.0 cali king
5.4.0 corns
1.1.0 Hognose
0.1.0 Cat
1.0.0 Foster puppy

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

draven
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  13:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, yes. Fahrenheit. That's what I get for posting at 1:30am. The heat pad only covers a 1/3rd of the left side. I'll take a look at a programmable on/off switch or down sizing the pad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000