New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pumpkin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  18:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i have Tangerine milk snake and i need some tips and advice on handling him.I can pick him up but he won't settle in my hand he is either trying to get away or he is trying to get back into his substrate, i just don't know what to do i don't want to hurt him and have him all stressed out caus that can make him ill but i wan't to be able to move him safely when it comes to cleaning him out and not have him dart over the tank and try to get down behind the desk caus he will get lost.I think part of it is me caus i can get nervous when it comes to handling him so what do i do??

Amy2310
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  19:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long have you had him?
If not that long, leave him to settle.
When you do try to handle him, offer your hand, let him get used to just your hand being around him, then work up to touching him and eventually sliding your hand underneath and finally lifting him up out of the enclosure.

Go to Top of Page

Katkin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  19:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ssssid went AWOL on Friday in much the same way you worry your milksnake might slip away and she vanished into the tiniest gap in the skirting board, so you do well to be aware how quick they can move

Anyway, Im hopeful I will get her back...

She took a bit of getting used to being handled (best not to hold for long initially and let him/her move through your hands whilst still keeping a steady hold). After a while, she would wrap herslf around my hand and simply rest, quite content to stay there.

1 Pueblan Milk Snake; 1 African Mantis; several of it's locust lunch mates; various Stick Insects); 1 Doberman; several cats; and 5 fish
Go to Top of Page

Pumpkin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  19:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the replys my snake is a male he is 7 months old and almost 3ft long. i will post up a photo for you to have a look.
I have had him for a month now i started handling by going in and giving him a gentle stroke and then built up to picking him up that's when the problems started caus he won't coil in my hand he just want's to get away.
Go to Top of Page

Pumpkin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear is a photo of my Tangerine milk snake.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
Hatchling

United Kingdom
432 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:05:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Milks generally are a bit more lightly than some snakes from my understanding, although a lot of snakes that haven't been handled much will act the same way. Building up handling should make him less nervous.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
465 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  08:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree... just baring with it, and building up handling will definately make him less nervous and easier to handle. How long have you had him for?

1.0.0 goins kingsnake
0.1.0 hogg island boa
1.0.0 el salvador boa
0.1.0 bearded dragon
0.1.0 leopard gecko

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  12:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My corn Pendulum is the same, and I have had him a year in November, some are just more skitty than others.
Just have to take your time, keep him/her held over the faun/RUB/viv, in case they dart, and after 5-10 minutes, he/she should calm down.
Well it works for Pendulum, and used to work for my snappy King too...
Except she just used to bite instead of run .... Women
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  12:48:02  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also just to add, when you go to grab him/her, don't go too close to the end of the tail, I noticed anytime anything touches Pendulums tail he darts, and I have zero chance of catching him, but go for middle of the body or a bit closer to the head than middle, that should also help a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

thelastknightofmalta
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  13:16:53  Show Profile  Click to see thelastknightofmalta's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey pumpkin

i was having the same worry and problem with my florida king la vallette he was fine me handling him but never like being taen out his viv and used to try get away and it used to take a while to get him out but hers a tip for you as it worked a treat for me put some clothing item that you have worn but is still clean like try wearing a sock round the house a few hours then drop that in the tank because its got your scent you milk should get accustomed to your scent now my florida just sits there and lets me scoop him right out no probs

rockin a fl king snake

The Last knight Of Malta
Go to Top of Page

Pumpkin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2011 :  18:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone and thanx for all the great tips, i will try that scent tip.I have had my male milk snake for 3 months now and he is 8 months old.I have also tried lately not putting alchol based hand wash on when i go to handle him just put it on after i have been handling him and that has helped.I have also learned of late that he does not like quick movement and iam sure he can sense when iam nervous, i go in every day and handle him for 5 mins and iam slowley increasing the amount of handling time.At the moment he is shedding but we measured him before he went into shedding and he is 3.9ft long he is going to be a big lad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000