New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SilvanKaa
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  23:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

We got our cali king a few months ago, but I have just found out I am pregnant. My husband is not very adept at looking after Silvan, and I am a bit worried about handling him during pregnancy and once the baby arrives, because of salmonella etc. Can anyone advise me about managing both a snake and a baby - can it be done, or would I be better selling my snake (cry) so that both snake and baby have a decent quality of life?

Thanks,

Sarah

Gmac
TKS Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  00:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many people have managed to keep snakes during pregnancy, but I would suggest, if you don't already, good snake hygiene, gel before and after handing cleaning out and the likes.

9.6 Corns, 1.0 Bci, 2.1 Royals, 1.1 king snakes, 0.0.1 milksnake, 1.1 black rat snakes, 1.2 Beardies, 1.0 shovelface

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  11:55:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As above ^^^ but if was me i wouldnt personly like to take the risk as babies under 5 are more prone to it but many people do still keep them with no problems

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

SilvanKaa
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  12:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, We do take good care with the hygiene stuff - always wash our hands and have alcohol gel on top of the viv. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a snake and a baby in the same home, what precautions do you take? Our snake likes to roam around the room - does this mean disinfecting the whole room, or do we just keep baby and snake seperate?

Someone told me it was as much risk to have cats as to have a snake... is this true, as we have two cats and have no intention of getting rid of them. It seems a bit unfair on Silvs if he is being judged on assumptions people make about snakes, rather than the true risks. But of course, I want to protect my little one too!

Thanks all. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
account deleted on request

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  13:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No the cats themselves are not a risk but their mess is. If you have litter trays you must be very very careful if you clean them out or empty them. If possible don't do it, let your other half.

Here is a useful bit of info for you.
http://www.justmommies.com/articles/toxoplasmosis-cat-litter.shtml

With the snake, really, yes anywhere he goes should be cleaned as snakes carry salmonella so good hygeine is a must. If I had a small child I personally wouldn't let a snake roam around anywhere the child could get to but then again I would never let my snake have free roam anyway. I always keep hold of them :)

Edited by - Invalid User on 16/02/2011 13:12:04
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  16:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would advise just housing the snake in a room the baby would never go in. Spare room???

It can be done as long as you are awre of the dangers you are already ahead of the game.

Go to Top of Page

sumkindofanimal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  14:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI, we've brought 3 babys, up in a house full of snakes, including a 10'+ boa, with no problems. i think as long as you use a fair amount of common sense, it should be fine. if you're worried about things like salmonella, then treat handling your snakes like you would handle raw chicken, eg wash hands after and have some of that anti-bac alcohol gel handy. Biggest problem comes from opinions of family members who may not understand keeping snakes! but if you like keeping them, dont get rid of them dude, you'll just regret it!
Your newborn fragile baby, will soon be a boistrous toddler who probably enjoys your snake as much as you!!

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

sumkindofanimal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  14:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to say, congratulations and good look with your new baby!

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah, I have 9 snakes and a 16 month old boy. I have had no problems. Nost of the snakes are in rooms where he can't get to by himself but one is in the living room. I always make sure that the viv is locked and am very careful with hygiene etc but there is no problem as long as you are careful

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

nadja92
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  19:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was pregnant and I had a cat, had my partner clean it out. Now I've had my baby, she's five months and I will be getting a snake. Although I'll never take it out when she's in the same room.

1.0.0 Ruthven Kingsnake
0.2.0 Tarantulas
0.1.0 Cat
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
465 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  20:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hubby changed the litter trays when I was pregnant too as the poo in the tray can carry a parasite which leads to something called toxicplasmosis. Which is a flu like viral thing...if passed onto the unborn child or newborn/young baby catches it it can cause death as they are too young and have not got as good a immune system as us. My youngest is 17 months and I keep snakes in the house too xx

1.0.0 goins kingsnake
0.1.0 hogg island boa
1.0.0 el salvador boa
0.1.0 bearded dragon
0.1.0 leopard gecko

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000