New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr. Oblivious
Egg

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a look at this thing, Sorry for the crappy picture, I had to do a screen shot.

0.0.1 Mexican Black -Otho
1.0.0 Cali King -Vernon
0.1.0 Royal Python -Ethel

Mr. Oblivious
Egg

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  01:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a real shame that such a fine animal had to be killed. It should have been photographed and left alone, but they don't like snakes in Alabama I guess.

1.0.0 Cali King -Vernon
Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  11:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Species of Rattle is it? I'm not to up on the Venamous. Could this be fake? Who knows?

Scott

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Oblivious
Egg

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  14:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an Eastern Diamondback, I live in the southern US, they really common throughout Florida, Georgia and Alabama but usually only get about 5 - 8 feet. This thing must have had one heck of a food source for a long time.

1.0.0 Cali King -Vernon
Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  14:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Info Mr.O. So it really could be genuine. Can't believe it was Killed, I imagine these snake's are a nuisence to most people in the area. Such a shame.

Scott

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Oblivious
Egg

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  17:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They mostly only live out in rural lightly populated areas, usually overgrown fields, pasture land and foothills. When I lived in Florida on 10 acres years ago I killed one by mistake one time mowing down some heavy grass with the lawnmower. Despite their powerful venom, short of actually stepping directly on one or trying to handle one, they really aren't much of a danger to people. If you were walking about in their territory, you'd probably come in close proximity to a couple and never even know it.

People have a bad stigma about venomous snakes in the south and they are usually destroyed on site. It's too bad because actually help keep the rats and field mice under control.

1.0.0 Cali King -Vernon
Go to Top of Page

bluerain
Hatchling

United Kingdom
270 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  14:41:28  Show Profile  Click to see bluerain's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is a shame that people are so predudiced towards the vevomous snakes!
I remember when i lived on a farm up in Caithness the local farmers would kill the Adders and stick them up on spikes....Such a shame that nothing seems to ever change. As said, Rattlers are probably more scared of humans, and would rather move out the way and hide than strike!

Lots of Milks!! Few Royals, corns, Rosie Boas and Childrens Pythons. One Bci, and one Irian Jaya Carpet!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
498 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  21:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I watche dLife in Cold Blood yesterday and Mr Attenborough was saying that they only strike as a last resort, whats the point of wasting venom on something you cant eat.

1.0.0 Mexi Black (Snoop)
1.0.0 Milk Pueb (Lestat)
0.2.0 Mexi Black (no name)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000