Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 King snake or corn snake? (beginner snake owner)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tobila
Snake Mite

1 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  21:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Javascript:insertsmilie('')

i've been looking and researching about getting snakes and i have traveled to many pet shops holding them and observing them. I'm really not sure whether to get a corn or a king or even a snake at all. I really want to know in general if snakes are actually boring pets to have? Personally i find snakes extremely interesting and intriguing and my family are fine about keeping frozen mice in the freezer and i have an exact list of vivarium items and i own a 36inch wide vivarium already from previously owing a tortoise.

So are they generally boring pets? and if i were to get one i was thinking of a butterscotch cornsnake or a ruthvens or a grey banded kingsnake, what would you recommend? AND lastly can you tell me briefly all the good points of having a snake e.g. why they are fun, interesting and so on.

thanks a lot,

Toby.

Welly
Egg

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  23:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes are cool, i can understand why people think they are boring. They don't do a great deal alot of the time.
Aside from watching them slither around and getting them out and handling them there isn't much to do other than observe them. Of course keeping there husbandry up together is a task but not to the extent of a dog for example. You can't pull them out every 5 minutes though.

There is much more than sticking a snake in a box with a glass window. As for kings or Corns as long as you do your homework either would be fine.

Snakes are impressive animals, the stigma of killer animals is far lost on most snakes. Watching them feed, move even down to the way they drink still fascinates me.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

GirlHarry
Hatchling

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  11:36:49  Show Profile  Click to see GirlHarry's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Snakes aren't like dogs which will respond/ play with you but if you have enough of an interest, then the fact that the snake doesn't 'do much' won't bother you. Again i agree with Welly, I love watching my girls feed/drink, and believe it or not, they will come to recognise your smell and touch and can be quite affectionate in their own way.

Every snake is different, some are happy to be handled once every few days, others prefer less handling, you'll know how to be with your chosen snake as you get used to it's behaviour. I prefer kings/milks to corns, but then that's just personal preference. Also consider that snakes do grow, and if you get a hachling, you will need to upgrade them to a larger viv as time goes by, upgrade to a bigger heatmat/ new hides. When you get a hachling, you think they'll be that size for a long while, but with both of mine, I had to fork out for larger equipment only a few months after getting them - growth spurts are common as youngsters. Once you decide on which you want, do as much research as possible, there's nothing worse than a snake keeper who is keen, but won't do right by the snake by giving it the correct care it needs.

Good luck with your deicision!

0.1.0 Albino Nelson's Milk (Strawbs)
0.1.0 Royal Python (Velvet)
0.0.1 Corn Snake (Dave)
Go to Top of Page

GirlHarry
Hatchling

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  11:38:26  Show Profile  Click to see GirlHarry's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Typo - *by not giving it the correct care it needs.

0.1.0 Albino Nelson's Milk (Strawbs)
0.1.0 Royal Python (Velvet)
0.0.1 Corn Snake (Dave)
Go to Top of Page

filardimarg2
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  13:56:11  Show Profile  Click to see filardimarg2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a king, 2 royal & a pueblan milk snake, out of the 4, my king snake is the most active, he is very funny most of the time, he is up most of the day, he loves to come out & knows where the glass doors open, he keeps nudging them, he is funny
If i were to reccomend any snake, it would be a king snake, i have a cali king.
Marg.

Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often get asked why I keep snakes because they don't do anything. True, they aren't like dogs or cats but I find them fascinating, the way they move, feed, shed etc keeps me interested. I started with an Arizona mountain king 2 years agos, I now have 9 snakes (6 of them are kings) and if I was to get any more then I think I would go for another king again, I think they have more personality than corns

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  14:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not got much else to add other than it is true, they don't do a right lot BUT if you are interested in snakes then they make good pets. I find them fascinating although most people think I am a freak for keeping snakes in the house!!!

I have 2 Corns and 2 Kings (and a Royal). I find the Kings far more active and inquisitive compared to the others. They are more fiesty as well which adds to their allure for me!

My cats and chickens are more interactive pets (and far more likely to bite/peck you!!!).

1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Grumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  10:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was scared by a snake (in a field of stubble) as a child (hindsight the snake was likely more scared of me). Since I decided I was being a wimp and started handling them I've become hooked. As has been said, kings have more personality than corns, despite a lot of places pushing corns onto beginners. The grey bands rarely show aggression, like corns, I bough mine as an adult and it's never been known to bite. I also have a chocolate cali who'll bite every time - but only lightly, to see if my hand is food, an albino grey band and an albino cali, not aggressive, and aa juvenile Taiwanese Beauty snake, also not aggressive. Like the other's on here, I like watching them as well as handling. Can't take them for a walk like the dog but they do recognise people, and can tell if male/female handling.

IanT

Blair's grey band
Albino cali female
Albino grey band female
Chocolate Cali
Taiwanese Beauty female
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page