New Snake Owner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buffamazon
Snake Mite

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  22:22:07  Show Profile  Send buffamazon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello all, thanks in advance for any help. My son purchased a Mexi Black King two days ago. Snake has just shed and was ravenous, at under two feet he responded well to live pinkies almost 24 hours ago.

My question, the seller said he has docile and had never bitten her. He has thumped his tail a few times and I am, honestly, a bit nervous about picking him up. My son in anxious to take good care of him, including handling him. The cage is a top entry. Any suggestions on the safest way to pick him up and get him used to us?

Mexi Black King 0.0.1
(Ninjers)

buffamazon
Snake Mite

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  23:39:04  Show Profile  Send buffamazon an AOL message  Reply with Quote

And here is the new little beauty!

Mexi Black King 0.0.1
(Ninjers)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  01:25:32  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gently ease yourself and the snake into it.
Slowly go in from the a side that's the other side of him so he can see your hand going in and just move some stuff about for a few days. A shift of the water bowl, moving a hide/decor or something similar.
Give it a few days to chill to your scent, then when it's out having a mooch about one day, you could stick your hand/arm in and let the snake approach and start to climb you or you could slowly ease your hand towards it and pick it up, whatever is more comfortable for you.
The sticking the arm in generally can be a good one as kings are very nosy, so anything new WILL get checked and looked at and climbed on.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

buffamazon
Snake Mite

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  17:37:52  Show Profile  Send buffamazon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, last night I got my king (Ninjers) to come out and check out my hand. His little tongue was catching my scent, then he very gently bit at me. It was a slow "strike" and I could barely feel the tips of his fangs, no skin broken, and he let go immediately.

Is this typical and good progress? I am hoping to go slowly to make sure he is safe with my 9 year-old son, but don't want ot push things. Again, wondering how much handling he had with his previous owner.

Thanks again in advance, anyone!

Mexi Black King 0.0.1
(Ninjers)
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  17:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buffamazon

Hello all, thanks in advance for any help. My son purchased a Mexi Black King two days ago. Snake has just shed and was ravenous, at under two feet he responded well to live pinkies almost 24 hours ago.

My question, the seller said he has docile and had never bitten her. He has thumped his tail a few times and I am, honestly, a bit nervous about picking him up. My son in anxious to take good care of him, including handling him. The cage is a top entry. Any suggestions on the safest way to pick him up and get him used to us?

Might be worth noting it is a no no to fed live, it's illegal to sell for that purpose in UK and can result in injury to the snake.

IanT

Blair's grey band
Albino cali female
Albino grey band female
Chocolate Cali
Taiwanese Beauty female
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
SerpentSeven's Evil Twin

United Kingdom
726 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  21:27:24  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
feeding live in itself is NOT illegal..............providing vatious criteria are met.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  23:19:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
buffamazon is from the usa where it is common place to live feed.I think you are making progress with the little taster he had,at least he knows that smell of you is not food,stick with what khhlyr has said and he will soon come round.

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  01:09:12  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting question, sorry to question you now buffamazon.

Do any of your local pet food supplie shops offer pre-killed food? It's something I'd like to know out of curiosity, because from what I've read it's actually quite unusual to be able to get frozen mices over in the states.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

buffamazon
Snake Mite

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  21:09:02  Show Profile  Send buffamazon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got back from two of the big chain stores, Petsmart and Petco, both offer frozen rodents in six packs...lol. Seems odd, ordered a six-pack of mice.

I have only fed my snake once so far, and the two rate pinkies I gave him were defenseless really. Not too keen on the sound they make when they are getting killed, but it's nature right? I plan on trying the next meal with some pre-killed food as I think for the safety of the snake and my husband's sanity.

I am still moving things around in his home, getting my scent all over the place in his viv. I won't poke him, just giving him fresh water. I do hope to be able to pick him up when feeding time rolls around, as I don't want to feed him in his viv anymore. Hopefully he knows by now that I am not delicious..lol

Mexi Black King 0.0.1
(Ninjers)
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  00:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give it time, doing what Kehlyr said, you'll get there. I have an adult Blairs and juvenile albino Blairs and cali, plus a juvenile chocolate Cali. The adult and the albino's are daft as a brush, but the choc boy will bite half a dozen times before her realises I'm not dinner.
Helps if you can accept sometime, somewhere, you'll get bitten. Doesn't usually hurt, but if you're relaxed about it so will the snake be. They sense if you're tense and tense up themselves.

IanT

Blair's grey band
Albino cali female
Albino grey band female
Chocolate Cali
Taiwanese Beauty female
Go to Top of Page

buffamazon
Snake Mite

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  00:21:10  Show Profile  Send buffamazon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Got him eating frozen adult mice now, which is a big relief. He seems just fine eating pre-killed dinner.

Grumpy, yeah I must accept that the bite may come. And that it won't be traumatic. I know the little blighter can sense if I am scared out of my wits, so I am far less afraid. Ready to handle him tomorrow after his dinner has settled!

Mexi Black King 0.0.1
(Ninjers)
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  19:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are doing the right things, buffamazon. If your snake is not being aggresive whn you move things around then I suspect you will be able to handle him quite easily. Just be aware that a kings other defense mechanism is to musk and this can be quite smelly but doesn't do you any harm as long as you wash your hands after handling, but you should do that anyway. Good luck with the handling tomorrow

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000