Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

faaijie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I Have a 3yr old Mexican Black King Snake in good health about 50inches long who has not eaten for about 4 weeks since his last shed. I have tried to vary his food i.e Weeners instead of mice checked that he is not constipated. There appears to be no weight loss. Wonderered if anyone had any ideas why being fussy with food should i try braining food.

Thanks
Darren (faaijie)

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  20:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that the temps are the same and you haven't moved his viv at all as these are both factors that could contribute. If not then I would say your snake may just be deciding to go off food for a while. If there is little or no weight loss then I would not worry too much at this stage, all snakes can go off their food for a while for no apparent reason. Just keep trying once a week and he will probably eat soon enough. I have a couple of snakes who have gone for 2-3 months at a time without eating and you do worry, but for them it is normally just their natural behaviour.

Keep us informed over the next few weeks though

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

faaijie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  12:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Magneticblue,
Thanks for your advice. I have not changed viv or temps and just wanted reassurance that snake was being a bit fussy which has happened before but around winter time.Will keep you informed.

Thanks Again
Darren (faaijie)

Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  12:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like his hormones are taking over his hunger if I'm honest. I have several male snakes currently not interested in any food, just some lady loving.

If he is in good health, and that size, you do not have anything to worry about. Over the next few weeks he should realise he has not a hope in hells chance of 'getting any'.

Scott

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000