Not sure why she done this she was feed a big mouse on saturday
will be getting another one but this time a baby one

before tonight this is Sam

Darren
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  09:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got up this morning & she fine looks as if nothing happened she in one piece going round her viv just very aggressive when I went to change her water she went for me & hit the front of her viv she never done any of this before so now have two aggressive snakes. Last night as you can see she eaten alot of herself this morning she look like she not even bite herself just a little on the tail I very confused how she still alive & why she done it & why she aggressive as she always been quiet and I always let her out must days without any aggressive or problems just pick her up and put her back when I needed to .
Any help would be very much appreciated as I don’t seem to be having any luck with the snakes at the moment. From one very confused snake keeper thank you for your time Darren
Go to Top of Page

jpichie
Snake Mite

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  11:37:36  Show Profile  Click to see jpichie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Darren, sorry I do not have an answer for you... Just wanted to say that is pretty messed up, and I hope all will be well with your snake.
She is one gorgeous King.
Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  13:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Darren,

What it seems you have here is an extremely food orientated Kingsnake. Cali King's or Mexican Blacks seem to have this behaviour when food is involved, not to the point where they start chewing on themselves. How much are you feeding her, how often?

The aggresive behaviour when you are near the vivarium is again, food orientated. As you do not handle her (due to being aggresive) she related the vivarium being opened or going close to it as feeding time. To erase this behaviour, the best thing you can do is handle her, You can use Protective Gardening gloves if feared of being beaten. While your doing this, feed her in a seperate vivarium or plastic tub. This reflects the behaviour from before of the vivarium being opened = Food.

Scott

Go to Top of Page

Darren
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  20:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She feed two big mouse a week on a Wednesday & then on a Sunday .
We do handle her me & my daughter handle her must days she out with me handling her and putting her back in the viv when I need to do other thing around the house & the person I got her from always handle her she never been aggressive before I gave her a mouse tonight she eat as normal & seem to back to normal
Darren
Go to Top of Page

magneticblue
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1511 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  22:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she is capable of eating a large mouse then would suggest that you are feeding her too often. A king of that size should be eating a large mouse once a week at the most. Try reducing her food to once a week and see if her behaviour improves

1.1.0 Arizona mountain king (Sylar and Claire)
0.1.0 Blotched king ( Jasmin)
1.1.0 Guyana red-tail boa (Hercules and Athena)
1.0.1 children (Alfie and BUMP)

Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  11:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above. Your feeding far to much, this could be the reason for being so food orientated.

Scott

Go to Top of Page

brookestar
Hatchling

146 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  13:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im confused here... is the king not dead?
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  15:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's quite a shocking photo!

Was she not moving when you saw her like that?

Is the tail alright?

Go to Top of Page

Darren
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  22:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she fine looks as if nothing happened she in one piece going round her viv just very aggressive the morning after but seem to be getting back to her normal self but a little shy.when she done this I thought lost her she be gone by morning Thought of putting her out of her misery but I glad I can’t hurt anything I even put spiders out the door alive so was very happy to see her in the morning like she not eaten herself
I went to a reptile shop in filton Bristol and showed them a photo of her and was told to leave her alone but feed her first then give her a couple of days to recover & she be back to normal
she still alive & why she done it & why she was aggressive as she always been quiet and I always let her out must days without any aggressive or problems just pick her up and put her back when I needed to .I confused with feeding as she 6ft I was told by a reptile shop to feed her two mouse a week but you say only one a week she only once before try to bite me & that was when I first got her from a friend over a year ago

Go to Top of Page

Janos
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  00:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to reptile shops though, 8 out of 10 have no idea what they're talking about, as sad as that is =/. Seems like they just want you to buy more off them. You'll often get conflicting opinions anyways, when it comes to keeping snakes, or hell, even any exotic, I always find its best to go with the consensus if there is one and bar that, go for the majority.

And in this case, I have to agree, I'd feed a snake that age once every 7-9 days myself.
Take a look at the care sheets on this site, they tend to be really good (as in some of the best I've seen online tbh).

0.1.0 - Anery Corn Snake
0.1.0 - Normal Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 - Normal Royal Python
0.0.1 - Sinaloan's Milksnake
Go to Top of Page

Janos
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  00:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I'm glad that your cali is alright, she's a beautiful snake. How is her tail?

0.1.0 - Anery Corn Snake
0.1.0 - Normal Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 - Normal Royal Python
0.0.1 - Sinaloan's Milksnake
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000