The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Should I be worried?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vampiregirl Posted - 18/11/2009 : 20:17:20
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and to keeping snakes. We've had our baby king California King snake for about 2 months now and he was eating fine at first. He started refusing his food about 2 weeks ago and hasn't eaten since. We were feeding him one pinky every 4 days. Just wondering if I should be concerned yet, and also if anyone has any suggestions about getting him to feed. We've tried braining and leaving him with the food. Any advice appreciated! (sorry about the long post btw)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
magneticblue Posted - 24/11/2009 : 18:48:52
Excellent! Do you want to come round and get Claire to eat next?
Vampiregirl Posted - 23/11/2009 : 22:36:16
Ye I put the pinky on a bit of kitchen towel in the viv so that he wouldnt ingest any substrate
lee2308 Posted - 22/11/2009 : 12:35:51
thats good news but make sure he cant swallow any substrate while eating,i put a sheet of paper down for them to eat on.
Vampiregirl Posted - 21/11/2009 : 23:56:14
just got Hannibal to feed although he wouldn't feed in his feeding box so we left it in his viv and within 10 minutes it was gone lol. Thanks for the advice guys
Gingerpony Posted - 19/11/2009 : 13:51:22
try leaving a light on in the room where his viv is

the daylight length as well as the ambient temperature lets the snake know what season it is so it can behave and cycle accordingly. shorter days and a drop in temps makes them think it's winter and time to brumate.
if you can con them into thinking it's still summer then they should keep eating normally all through winter, although for adults, giving them time for a brief period of brumation is probably beneficial and definitely more natural for them.
Kazerella Posted - 19/11/2009 : 10:02:42
Hello Vampiregirl

I wouldn't worry yet, he's only been with you two weeks so if officially still settling in. This plus the winter thing like Lee said is probably the cause.

Just keep an eye on his weight
Vampiregirl Posted - 19/11/2009 : 10:00:42
ok thanks, will keep trying for now then
lee2308 Posted - 18/11/2009 : 21:19:26
its that time of year now and lots of snakies are off their food,just keeptrying every 3-5 days,if he starts to lose weight then seek vets advice.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000