The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Cleo question..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jono2411 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 15:11:35
Now that CLeopatra is feeeding well and not throwing up i have been feeding her 2 pinkies every 4 days, what ive been refering to as power feeding to get her back up to a healthy weight and size as soon as possible... is this appropriate or is it likely to result in a small, fat snake rather than a healthy one?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Triangulum Posted - 15/10/2009 : 14:58:19
Think I mis-read the first post there then Jon, Haha. Well aslong as he is healthy, thats the main concern.

All the best,
Scott
jono2411 Posted - 15/10/2009 : 14:53:52
lol, the idea was just to bring her back up to weight and size that was healthy what with the fast she had... i already put her back on a normal diet now that she has shed, she is starting to fill out nicely and be a very active and friendly snake :)
Triangulum Posted - 15/10/2009 : 14:47:46
Hi Jon,

I tend to do the same process with my first year of hatchlings/yearlings. I like to 'powerfeed' as such. Interms of growth, fat instead of length, It depends entirely on that snakes motabalism. I find that feeding plenty as young has no effects once adult, However, As soon as they get almost fullgrown. I tend to feed a 'normal' diet. Of say one food item once per week. I just like to power on feeding while the young, for a multiple of reasons, mainly for breeding purposes.

So to answer your question, It depends entirely on the snake itself. I think if you kept 'powerfeeding' all throught it's life. Say 2-3 Adult mice instead of one per week, Your going to have an obese snake for sure.

Take it easy mate,
Scott
Kazerella Posted - 14/10/2009 : 13:24:53
I agree- with snakes it's usually better to underfeed them rather than over feed them, so I always sway for a little longer. Obesity causes all sorts of problems.

We are currently trying to build Wilbur up, but even with his hoggy high metabolism we only feed every 5 days. When Cyd had laid her eggs and Hypanthia came in super skinny they were also on a 4-5 day routine, but they both desperately needed it.
adam83 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 12:07:33
5 days will probably help stomach acids build back up as well, wont it?
jono2411 Posted - 05/10/2009 : 11:17:02
2 pinkies is what she should be on for a feed, its been 15 days since her last regurgre... will move to 5 days then
Gingerpony Posted - 05/10/2009 : 10:59:00
yes i'd go for 5 days now...how long since she last regurged? and how does a pinkie compare to her size?
lee2308 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 20:49:07
i would make it 5 days,just give the stomach time to digest.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000