The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Munky's epic battle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazerella Posted - 19/08/2009 : 12:32:09
I've only just got around to telling this story- but last week we discovered that Munky had got mites He must have had them since coming from Donny Show, so we were glad he's been in quarantine since he came to us (otherwise we could've had 11 others to treat too )

Anyway, treatment was going well, we used kitchen roll substrate changed everyday and a spray the vet gave us which is supposed to be as good as Frontline, but not as risky to use (xeno 200- which is a 0.02% ivermectin solution). The mite sightings got less and less until tragedy struck! - Mucky had the worst shed I have ever seen any snake have!

We are not sure wether this bad shed was caused by the mite treatment or not, but we bathed him straight away and got all the shed away from his head and the eye caps off, but we couldn't budge the shed from his vent to tail tip. We decided to leave him over night to see if he could lose it himself, but he only managed to get off another cm worth by morning. We bathed him and towel dried again and it didn't work as he was struggling too much and musked so hard his bum muscle could be seen, so we put him back to calm down.

But... third time lucky! -result! I bathed him again this morning and the tail bit has come off! yippeee! now we can go back to treating him for mites without worrying too much about him.

Looks like the worst is over for the little fella. He's a brave little soldier
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 25/08/2009 : 14:34:19
Lee's not getting empty threats- he's dissed my yorkshire pud and slurred my reputation - he's a dead man walking

(And not even the traffic jams of Brizzie can save him)
magneticblue Posted - 25/08/2009 : 11:37:20
Kaz and her empty threats again
Kazerella Posted - 25/08/2009 : 09:48:16
Watch it Lee- you don't have that 'get out of being kingered free' card anymore
matty18714 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 19:23:16
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by magneticblue

Some great ways to make mites suffer one here, anyone got any more suggestions?

A evening with kaz

Puhhahaha
lee2308 Posted - 24/08/2009 : 19:20:24
quote:
Originally posted by magneticblue

A evening with kaz
Kazerella Posted - 24/08/2009 : 17:48:26
GirlHarry- luckily the eye caps came off really easy as some more of his head skin was still hung on too and it all came off with one swipe of the towel. Bless him.

Anyone who has smelt Frontline knows that that is a bad enough death for mites. It's well toxic
matty18714 Posted - 23/08/2009 : 18:44:43
A good result
magneticblue Posted - 20/08/2009 : 11:40:24
Weirzo Posted - 20/08/2009 : 00:12:22
Hold a tin plate above a lighter and drop them on to it and here them sizzle hehe. That's what the soldiers did with mites on their person in World War One.
GirlHarry Posted - 19/08/2009 : 18:55:46
glad all's well now

i got so stressed when i thought strawbs had mites, lord knows what i'd be like if she actually DID have mites.

Keeping the name of that spray handy mind, just in case.

how did you manage to remove the eye caps without hurting him? [i'd imagine snakes would wriggle and move during this process?]
jono2411 Posted - 19/08/2009 : 18:38:53
thnakfully ive never had mites... phew... they are terrible little blighters from the sounds of it tho! and i hope munky recovers from the stress ok...
lee2308 Posted - 19/08/2009 : 16:30:10
you should burn them with a magnifying glass
Kazerella Posted - 19/08/2009 : 16:07:59
So do I - but it gives me great satisfaction to squish them with my nails
magneticblue Posted - 19/08/2009 : 15:34:24
Sorry to hear about the mites Kaz. Glad he's starting to win the battle though, I hate mites!
Kazerella Posted - 19/08/2009 : 13:03:21
Unfortunately no pictures, we just dug in and tried to get it sorted, so didn't even think about pics

I thought it was a prolapse too, but Lewy said to let him relax and look again and it was gone. Think it was the stress of trying to musk, but having no musk left to give (after already covering me in the stuff).

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000