The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Little black bugs in Viv :|

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GirlHarry Posted - 30/07/2009 : 17:13:19
Ok so i checked in on strawbs during her shedding process just now [still no shed but clearly will V soon] and changed her water. As i brought the water bowl back, i saw something black moving in the patch that her water bowl normally is, so i squooshed it with the tip of my finger :\
I shifted another handful of substrate to make a gap, and saw another one!!!!!

I had a few more looks, and saw no others. I got really scared incase it was a mite, but i checked her over and she's totally clean... totally 'black bits' free!

i dont know if its a mite, as ive never seen them before, and the images i'm finding of them online arent really helping. it was pretty small, but i dont think it could have fitted under one of her scales :\

:( really want to whip her out of there and clean the viv out but she's very nearly about to shed!

Pretty worried, where do mites come from? [if that is what i saw]

sighhhh please help!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
magneticblue Posted - 05/08/2009 : 10:43:08
Glad they've gone GirlHarry!
GirlHarry Posted - 05/08/2009 : 08:39:19
i am, no more black bugs!

also thrown out the aspen because we noticed a load of them lurking around on the table where the aspen bag was kept!

she seems happy in her kitchen roll and carefresh so i might just stick with that! :)
Triangulum Posted - 04/08/2009 : 22:47:51
Could of been Mites. However, Very unusual to find in Aspen. As it's usually to dry and dusty for Mites. Sounds like them bloody Thunder Flys to me. Our workplace is COVERED in them. They are drawn to white, The do literally get everywhere.

Hope since the tidy up, you are black bug free.

Scott
magneticblue Posted - 01/08/2009 : 14:45:20
Hope it is just some sort of wood bug. Let us know if you find anything else
lee2308 Posted - 31/07/2009 : 17:02:22
probably just a one off bad bag,i buy mine in 20kg sacks and have never seen anything,will look more closer from now on though.
GirlHarry Posted - 31/07/2009 : 14:41:47
indoors :\
lee2308 Posted - 31/07/2009 : 14:26:47
never heard of anything in asen before,do you keep it indoors or out in a shed ect
GirlHarry Posted - 31/07/2009 : 13:08:05
aspen!
lee2308 Posted - 31/07/2009 : 01:57:27
what substrate you using?
theonlydarrenever Posted - 30/07/2009 : 22:20:08
little buggers!!
GirlHarry Posted - 30/07/2009 : 21:02:11
yeah will do!

darren used some of my substrate for his newest addition, Pumpkin, and he's just called me saying they were in his viv too. So yeah i'm putting it down to wood bugs!

sighhh
Kazerella Posted - 30/07/2009 : 20:22:31
It could just be insects from off the wood, but keep an eye on her anyway. Best thing to do is to keep her on white kitchen roll for a few weeks because then you can get a better look of any black creepy-crawlies in there.
jono2411 Posted - 30/07/2009 : 20:07:49
hmmm... hope its all sorted now... scary situation
GirlHarry Posted - 30/07/2009 : 19:53:38
Update No.2:
Binned the substrate and disinfected it with darren's solution. She's now back in there with kitchen roll instead of substrate. Darren seems to think it wasn't mites, but some kind of little flies? I'll keep an eye on things.
GirlHarry Posted - 30/07/2009 : 17:55:59
Update: Took her out and put her in a large clear storage box with holes and a hide for her.

Darren's coming over in a second with some snake-friendly bleach so we can clean her viv out.

As i took her out of the viv i noticed another one, tried to take a picture but the batteries died.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000