The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 getting worried about Blackjack [:(]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Weirzo Posted - 28/07/2009 : 21:19:38
Ok so exactly three weeks ago on the tuesday I went on holiday expecting my mum to remember to feed blackjack on that day because it was feeding day. My stupid mum didnt feed her though !!!

I went away for two weeks and during this time on both Tuesdays she refused food!

Still not too worried though i got back to see what was wrong and she was starting to shed as her eyes were blue, the usual signs.

However she had already shed about a month before hand! She is two years old and I don't think she should be shedding so often so I consulted my local reptile shop and they reckon that Blackjack is a female and she is ovulating and that's why she's shedding. A perfect excuse even though I'm not sure what sex she is.

Well yesterday her eyes have cleared and I expect she will be shedding soon so I thought I would try her a feed but again she refused. However I left the mouse with her thinking it was because I was present and When I went in 10 minutes later I scared her and she rattled a lot and coiled for a strike!

Why is "It" shedding again and why so moody, why inactive and why is "It" refusing food.

Just wondering if anyone could share some light on this predicament it would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Weirzo
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 29/07/2009 : 16:08:24
I wouldn't be worried about the shedding- some sankes shed more than others and some of mine have started shedding more often during the summers months. The only thing I would say is check for mites - they sometimes shed more when they have mites- but if not- then it's probably normal.

As for feeding- wait until after she has shed and try again. 3 weeks isn't that long to go without a feed in snake terms. Hopefully it will eat again soon.
lee2308 Posted - 28/07/2009 : 22:40:38
05,06 and a unknown adult
Weirzo Posted - 28/07/2009 : 22:36:20
yea ok thanks

what age is your king though?
lee2308 Posted - 28/07/2009 : 22:31:16
mine sheds every 4-6 weeks and until they actuly shed their skin feels very tight to them and this can make them grumpy,wait until a couple of days after shedding then try another feed
jono2411 Posted - 28/07/2009 : 21:36:32
could very well be the ovulation issue but im really not sure... hopefully someone will have better information for you... maybe try calling a reptile vet if you are worried...

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000