The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 strange thing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GirlHarry Posted - 09/06/2009 : 22:49:40
after having a chat with some of you guys about strawbs, i thought i'd try her on small mice. [she's been on three fuzzies for a while now, so i thought it might've been time for an upgrade to just one small mouse]

so.. i tried her with a small mouse about 3/4 days ago, she sniffed at it, looked at it, looked VERY interested.. but then nothing! she didn't even attempt to eat it, even though she was due a feed.

tonight i thought i'd try her with her usual 3 fuzzies, and she demolished them! not only that, but she was looking for something else, so not wanting to fatten her up too much, i offered a pinky - and that went down nicely too.

basically i'm confused as to why she can easily chomp 3 fuzzies and a pinky down, but not attempt one small mouse!?

has any one else had this issue whilst introducing larger mice to their snakes?

thanks!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carl Posted - 26/07/2009 : 10:12:13
I never thought about this as Snoop just accepted the bigger mice, hes now on medium sized mice.
bluerain Posted - 21/07/2009 : 08:21:14
A few of my milks are exactly the same!!! Although i know they are of a size where they could quite happily accept larger prey items, they refuse point blank to have anything to do with them!!

It is quite frustrating ,and means i get through so many more pinks and fuzzies than i would have to if they ate larger mice....aaaaghhhh!!!
magneticblue Posted - 11/06/2009 : 21:09:43
YDon't know if it wil work but you could try offering her 1 fuzzy first and then a small mouse after that
lee2308 Posted - 10/06/2009 : 22:51:47
just stick with offering small mice,her hunger will get the better of her.lol
Kazerella Posted - 10/06/2009 : 17:51:01
I think it's just a change. Some snakes are stuck in their ways and don't want to venture onto something different
Grumpy Posted - 10/06/2009 : 17:15:49
quote:
Originally posted by GirlHarry

after having a chat with some of you guys about strawbs, i thought i'd try her on small mice.SNIP

so.. i tried her with a small mouse about 3/4 days ago, she sniffed at it, looked at it, looked VERY interested.. but then nothing! she didn't even attempt to eat it, even though she was due a feed. SNIP

basically i'm confused as to why she can easily chomp 3 fuzzies and a pinky down, but not attempt one small mouse!?

has any one else had this issue whilst introducing larger mice to their snakes?

thanks!

We found with my wife's mexican milk, if it even though what was offered might be too big it would check it out then not touch it. You could see if shop has any extra small small mice. Otherwise, as long as she's eating I wouldn't worry.
GirlHarry Posted - 10/06/2009 : 16:04:05
do they not like fur then??
Gingerpony Posted - 10/06/2009 : 11:42:24
maybe you need to get the razor out and shave the small mouse (not the one you use for your legs though )

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000