The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Teeth and Mouth Rot question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kamileun Posted - 04/06/2009 : 01:13:36
Okay, so my very young kingsnake decided to latch onto my pinky. This is the second time I've been tagged by him and this time it was especially scary because he was starting to try to eat it and I was scared he wasn't going to let go.

It took a lot longer this time to get him off using water (a spray bottle once, and the faucet on low at a medium temperature).

At one point he began to pull and sort of struggle, but he didn't let go for a while. I'm scared and paranoid about mouth rot, as I have the feeling that it may have been what killed my other snake months ago.

How much does it take to break a young snakes teeth (or tooth?)? At no point did I yank on him or act rough, and I did my best to get him to let go on his own. What are symptoms I can watch for?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 10/06/2009 : 17:57:09
It's a good idea. I put my pyjama top in with Hypanthia and she's calmed a little. Still a long way to go with her, but they usually calm down if you keep trying
Kamileun Posted - 07/06/2009 : 01:38:36
That sucks D: I hope both of ours do. I would like a snake that I can handle without it getting mad or wanting to eat up all of my fingers, lol. I put a shirt in his tank to get him used to my smell.
Kazerella Posted - 06/06/2009 : 09:59:31
Some kings are like that- our new Mexi is. Hopefully he'll realise that everything that moves isn't food and then you'll be saved the wound marks
Kamileun Posted - 06/06/2009 : 07:53:24
Aaah, alright. I will stop worrying so much. He pigged down two mice the other day, but he still strikes almost every chance he gets. I've been feeding him outside the tank so hopefully he'll stop associating my hands as food...I'm almost sure he strikes because of the movement x_x
Kazerella Posted - 05/06/2009 : 17:23:04
Their teeth are pretty sturdy as long as you didn't pull or rip them, so I wouldn't worry too much.

If you do start to see any type of mucus and discolouring in your snakes mouth it's best to take him to the vets, but I'm sure biting wouldn't be the cause.
lee2308 Posted - 04/06/2009 : 08:27:15
cant help with the rot bit but i expect he was still in feeding mode and anything that moves is food,i wouldnt worry too much about the teeth as long as you didnt pull him off or snatch your hand away he should be ok.
Kamileun Posted - 04/06/2009 : 02:21:42
I think I might just be scared and paranoid :[ He tagged me yet AGAIN when I was moving the thermometer end in his cage. I just fed him too so I thought maybe he wouldn't be interested in striking. I'm gonna have to be extra careful until he gets used to me...will he learn eventually that I'm not food and I'm not gonna hurt him?

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000