The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Lump near vent

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazerella Posted - 26/05/2009 : 09:59:40
We had Hypanthia out yesterday (because she's been biting herself and there was blood= mad), but whilst we were checking her over we noticed a lump that is below the vent. It feels like an egg so would've thought she was egg bound if it was above the vent, but it's not.

Done a bit of research and it looks like either a musk gland infection or a tumour, so need to get her to the vets.

Anyone else ever encountered anything like this?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lee2308 Posted - 06/06/2009 : 14:30:17
great news
Kazerella Posted - 06/06/2009 : 10:01:08
Just checked on Hypanthia (we've left her alone for a few days because she's gone blue) and the lump doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. I think that's good news
wolfspirit Posted - 29/05/2009 : 21:25:56
I hope she is ok to...maybe once the meds have took hold it can be sorted...

fingers crossed for her and you of course;-)
magneticblue Posted - 29/05/2009 : 20:25:32
Hope she's OK Kaz and Lewy. Not the best news for your new snake but I'm sure you'll get her sorted
lee2308 Posted - 28/05/2009 : 23:18:56
i Have a picture just like that in a snake medical book i have and that particular case is a absess,it says these absesses cant be drained but have to be scraped out,hopefuly its just a infection and her lady bits are fine for breedibg.
Gingerpony Posted - 28/05/2009 : 22:26:11
yunno i was sure one of the xeno products was suitable for snakes, but could i blinking remember which one??? xeno 200 is now stamped into my memory!
you can see the thickened area quite clearly, poor Hypanthia. if she's been trodden on but still has some structure that must be good......... better than being squashed flat and breaking everything
hope she feeds ok and stops biting herself soon
lewy Posted - 28/05/2009 : 21:42:43
Been to the vets, He's unsure of whether it's an old injury of not and said he doesn't want to give it any more stress at the moment by taking samples to see if it's anything else.
You can feel like little bones inside so he thinks it might be an old crushing injury.

We have to get her up to health and increase her weight, and try and stop her biting herself, then go back in six weeks if it hasn't gone or earlier if it gets worse.

He's suggested that the reason shes biting her self could be external parasites, so we're treating for mites (with some new mite treatment that is reptile safe and works better than frontline called Xeno 200 - Ivermectin spray) Just as a precaution, either way it can't do any harm.

here's the photo of the lump so you can see.

You can see it more from underneath but she's settling now for a few weeks with only feeding so she doesn't get stressed, hopefully will stop the biting herself.
lewy Posted - 28/05/2009 : 14:29:48
Will hopefully see what's wrong - she's booked in for tonight. It will be William who is looking at her, Hope it's nothing too serious. Will let you know how we get on with her. She's eating fine, active, going to the toilet fine, and looks ready to shed. so I don't think it's bothering her any, Always best to check though.
magneticblue Posted - 26/05/2009 : 20:31:45
Hope you get it sorted Kaz. If you need any directions to the vets or anything else just let me know. William Taylor is the vet I normally see
Gingerpony Posted - 26/05/2009 : 20:03:49
TBH Baytril is most commonly used for respiratory infections, that's not to say it can't be used for other infections elsewhere but there might be another product more appropriate/effective.

any pics of this lump?
lee2308 Posted - 26/05/2009 : 18:08:42
hope shes ok,has she musked you yet?
Kazerella Posted - 26/05/2009 : 14:58:31
Well previously with the other snakes we've taken them to one in Barnsley, but only because I knew exactly what was wrong with them (R.I and mites) so told the vet what to prescribe. They are rep vets you see.

Going to try that one in Rotherham that M.Blue goes to. Springfield since it's something we don't know about.

Do you think Baytril will help? We've still got some of that left. Hope it is just a blocked musk gland.
Gingerpony Posted - 26/05/2009 : 13:00:56
more Baytril then? an infection is most likely.

which vet do you use?

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000