The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Health
 Worried about Strawbs.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GirlHarry Posted - 14/01/2010 : 19:09:16
I'm really worried about her eating habits. She's just been in shed and hadn't eaten in 3 weeks, so when i prepared the two small mice for her i had no worries about her not eating. she must've been ravenous after 3 weeks!

I handed her one with her feeding tongs, she sniffed at it for ages and then left it be - so i put it down in her viv hoping she'd nom it. after 15mins i started to get worried but she eventually dragged it behind her hide and gobbled it down. She was looking around a little more so i popped the other mouse in there with her too.. but she didnt want it.

Basically, she's hungry, wants to eat, but when i give her to option to latch on.. or strike [which would be nice...] she skulks around for about 15mins then takes it down in her own sweet time. Thing is, she's a big girl now, and the mice i'm giving her are hardly making a bump in her... but when i move up a size, or give her a second, she's not interested.

Has anyone got any tips on tempting her to eat a little more like a snake rather than a moody child? don't get me wrong, she's healthy and happy, and i'll always love her regardless of her feeding habits, but in comparison to my other half's snakes, she's not improved with age!?

Thank yous
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 31/01/2010 : 09:52:51
Tempo is acting exactly the same way Girlharry, so try not to worry. It is the season.

Just keep offering and eventually she'll take them vigorously again
magneticblue Posted - 15/01/2010 : 18:00:30
It could just be the season. I think kings respond a lot to the short days. Sylar hasn't eaten since he came out of brumation so hasn't actually had a meal for about 3 months now. He's only lost 5g though so I'm not worried at the moment.
GirlHarry Posted - 15/01/2010 : 11:19:50
yeah she's definately a girl.

i just worry that she's so soft when it comes to eating that if she ever [god forbid] escaped, she'd die of hunger! she doesn't seem to have the ability/want to strike, let alone constrict.

yeah i might try offering a little more often!
Eye Posted - 15/01/2010 : 10:56:25

Careful guess: could be down to the season. (Btw, are you certain it's s female?)

The important thing is that she has now eaten. After a 3 weeks fast one mouse sounds like enough. She may go on like this for a few more feeds and get back to normal after that, which may also correspond with the weather improving.

One thing you can do if you don't think she's taking enough food is to offer more often. If you're feeding every 7 days perhaps you'd want to offer her food every 6 days for now. But, if she's not losing weight, I wouldn't worry.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000