The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Scarlet King or Peublan Milk? please help...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zoe478 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 21:22:33
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if my Dexter is a Scarlet King or a Peublan Milk? The pet shop I bought him from sold him to me as a Scarlet King but since visiting a different pet shop today (to get all the right equipment that the previous pet shop didn't give me, such as a stat) I spotted what I thought was a Scarlet King because he looked exactly like Dexter. However, Dexter has a black face and I've read that Scarlet Kings have a red face. The pet shop today have told me he's a Peublan, so I went back to the pet shop I bought him from to tell him and he argued with me saying I was wrong. He told me to bring him back and I would get my money back for him, but what a stupid thing to suggest, he's my pet, have only had him a week but I've grown attached to him, named him, fed him, held him, and fallen in love with him. I can't and won't take him back, he's mine no matter what type he is, but I need some verification from other people because I'm going to take this further with the pet shop if I am right, because the starter kit he sold me, I have since found out, was completely inadequate :( Please help...

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 11/12/2011 : 15:49:43
Opps posted in your other topic sayings its not a scarlet king first before reading here. I love scarlet kings, I want one for myself one day but mixing kings and milks... oh dear lol soecially since scarlet kings seem very hard to get hard of while puebs seem rather common.

None of my bowls are big enough for my adults or yearling snakes to soak in, despite many caresheets saying they should. Mainly because the water bowl would then take up like a thrid of my viv and the king keeps tipping parts of his water out of a small bowl, hate to see him with a bigger one lol.
Zoe478 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 23:29:24
oh yes, I forgot about that, I've got a digital probe one :) the pet shop gave me a gauge one! sigh... LOL

Gmac Posted - 10/12/2011 : 23:12:58
nicely done :D, you also get the digi thermo?

And looks like Dexter is going to have a nice new setup so all looking good ;D
Zoe478 Posted - 10/12/2011 : 23:03:21
Thanks to both of you :)

I do love him no matter what he is, I got him out for a cuddle after I posted earlier and just knew I'd got a bond with him. As someone who has never been interested in any pet other than a dog or a cat, I'm even surprised myself by how much I'm enjoying him! The pet shop I went into today was mainly a reptile shop and I could have stayed in there all day, just looking at all the snakes and other reptiles. Once I've had Dexter about a year, I will get another hatchling that can use his little vivarium once I've moved him into a bigger one. I found it really hard not getting another hatching today, such as a king or a corn, but I was good, and I'm going to get used to having Dexter and then when I feel I know enough, I'll expand my family! :)

The 'starter kit' I got from the original pet shop that I got Dexter from seemed ideal until I did some looking into it properly. As a first time snake owner, I'm shocked about the advice and equipment some shops give you. If I hadn't used my initiative and spent hours reading about them, I could have just brought him home and he wouldn't have been happy :(

- the heat mat included in the starter kit was fitted on the inside of the vivarium, no stat
- the water bowl was TINY, even for a hatchling, no room for him to use when he's ready to shed
- the one hide included, not two, was far too big for him
- the substrate was large wood pieces which for a burrowing hatching snake, aspen is much more ideal
- the bulb supplied was the wrong one, they gave me a normal bulb and told me to leave it on all the time

Anyway, I spent a good while in the new pet shop today and got him everything he needs. I've cleaned the vivarium out and set everything up properly. The heat mat is on the outside, he has a bigger water bowl, two small hides, aspen bedding, a stat and most importantly, a smile on his little face (well there would be if he could!) LOL

I feel I was overcharged for the starter kit now, and Dexter himself with him not being a rare snake anymore. I've spent another small fortune today on putting everything right, but he's worth every penny. You learn as you go along I guess.

Anyway, thanks again for replying, I'm just looking at Dexter now and he's having a good nosy around his 'new' home, he's peeking at me as though he's saying 'thanks Mum' LOL :)
Eight Posted - 10/12/2011 : 22:34:32
I did wonder this myself when I first saw your pics but I don't know enough to positively id scarlets. I'm glad you want him no matter what. Mis sold species can really be an issue with some animals, and I get it with spiders myself quite a bit.

From what I do understand about scarlets and pueblans is that they are a similar size when fully grown with scarlets being a little smaller.

How come the starter set was inadequate if its a pueblan (other than not supplying a stat)?
Gmac Posted - 10/12/2011 : 22:20:58
Pueblen and not a scarlet sorry. But is a lovely looker and glad you have the attitude he is mine. :)

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000